Best Vinyl Top Cleaner And Protectant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Vinyl Top Cleaner And Protectant?

My friend has an '88 CV with a half vinyl roof. It could use some "love" and was wondering what the best cleaner and then protectant is available. In the past I have used 303, in the past and on other cars, but was wondering what you guys have used and am asking for recommendations to consider. By the way, his roof is not deteriorated, in any way, but just needs a good cleaning and protectant. Probably a good question for Dave!!
    Last edited by friskyfrankie; 01-11-2024, 01:32 PM.
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Its important to use a brush...not too stiff...to agitate the pores of the vinyl. Ive cleaned my top before with diluted super clean in small sections at a time. Use the brush and make sure the cleaner froths up and be sure to scoop up that froth with a towel as that is all of your dirt lifted to the surface. I have only used 303 on my top. I apply, rub it in and then come back and buff off the extra. It will look really nice after this.

When I had my original vinyl top I used armor-all just once and no kidding the next day or two I had cracks showing up all over. Granted it was far from perfect to begin with but it came out way worse for some reason after using it.

I know there are now ceramic coatings for leathers and vinyls and am sure that would do a nice job of protecting after doing a deep clean.

If one has a steamer I can see using a mop head with towel around it as a good way to scrub the vinyl too. The heat will open the pores up some. Just gotta go easy on the heat so the adhesive does not let go.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
      Its important to use a brush...not too stiff...to agitate the pores of the vinyl. Ive cleaned my top before with diluted super clean in small sections at a time. Use the brush and make sure the cleaner froths up and be sure to scoop up that froth with a towel as that is all of your dirt lifted to the surface. I have only used 303 on my top. I apply, rub it in and then come back and buff off the extra. It will look really nice after this.

When I had my original vinyl top I used armor-all just once and no kidding the next day or two I had cracks showing up all over. Granted it was far from perfect to begin with but it came out way worse for some reason after using it.

I know there are now ceramic coatings for leathers and vinyls and am sure that would do a nice job of protecting after doing a deep clean.

If one has a steamer I can see using a mop head with towel around it as a good way to scrub the vinyl too. The heat will open the pores up some. Just gotta go easy on the heat so the adhesive does not let go.
      This is GREAT info and thanks so much, Dave. I knew you would be the one to respond with the "goods"!

Comment

I have been using "InstaGone" It is available at RV dealers/stores. It is used on Vinyl/canvas on RV awnings. The tops I have used it on are white. so I cannot comment on colored tops.Follow the instructions ! The vinyl tops have come out clean. When the top is dry, I used the 303 aerospace protectant. I do this process about once every two year as the cars are kept indoors.
        Armor All is a vinyl killer especially in hot weather. I never use that stuff. There are other products especially for vinyl tops. Since tops are not popular anymore, I would doubt the products are no longer made. I do a couple of very old bottles on the shelf.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
          I have been using "InstaGone" It is available at RV dealers/stores. It is used on Vinyl/canvas on RV awnings. The tops I have used it on are white. so I cannot comment on colored tops.Follow the instructions ! The vinyl tops have come out clean. When the top is dry, I used the 303 aerospace protectant. I do this process about once every two year as the cars are kept indoors.
          Armor All is a vinyl killer especially in hot weather. I never use that stuff. There are other products especially for vinyl tops. Since tops are not popular anymore, I would doubt the products are no longer made. I do a couple of very old bottles on the shelf.
          Yeah, he has a bottle of older vinyl cleaner/protectant that I think was made by Turtle Wax. Something named Nano something. I already checked and it is no longer made which is a shame because the last time I did his roof, it worked great. It is a darker color so I do need to be careful with the chemicals.

Comment

I vote for a garage. Thats the best vinyl protector you can buy.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              I vote for a garage. Thats the best vinyl protector you can buy.
              Agreed. Actually, it is in a garage but still needs "love" if and when I can get to it.

Comment

Working...
              X