Interesting tip for trim..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting tip for trim..

Actually learned something from watching the powerblock. The aluminum trim is anodized. It's basically a clearcoat for the trim. That's why it's impossible to get rid of the hazy oxidation. They used oven cleaner to remove the anodizing without damaging the trim. Unfortunately the trim needs to be removed from the car for cleaning.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Wouldn't that make it oxidize faster? I guess you'd have to re-polish it regularly after removing the anodizing.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yea you can buff it up real shiney, the only thing then is it requires more maintainece to keep it like that, but ill probley chrome all my trim

Comment

You could put your own layer of clear on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic View Post
          You could put your own layer of clear on it.
          Would it stick properly tho to smooth, polished metal?
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

They do make metal sealers that could hold the finish for awhile, something like this: http://www.zoopseal.com/zoopseal.asp
            -Matt
            1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

There are restoration shops out there that can re-anodize your old trim if it is in good condition, and you wanna go that route. According to the one site I checked out that offers these services they claim, polishing w/o anodizing risks ruining the trim, and that it requires much more upkeep. All in all, I think the trim peices on these cars are very durable and look fine with regular washes and waxes. Here's a link of the place I checked out:

Attached Files
              Last edited by 86GmLsCoupe; 06-09-2007, 02:17 AM.
              sigpic
              1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
              Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                Would it stick properly tho to smooth, polished metal?

I've done it before. Worked OK..

Could have the stuff power coated clear....

Or just polish it alot. It's not that much upkeep, at least it'd actually become shiny after you polish it!
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
                X