X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fender help

Hey
    everybody,

My 91's door hinge broke into several pieces.

I've replaced it but can't get the hinge lined up.

I've removed over 20 fender bolts, 2 nuts & a spring, but it still won't budge.

Does anyone know to remove the stinkin thing?

All help would be appreciated!!!!

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Keep looking for more bolts, there are usually some that are hidden. If it doesn't come off easy you must have bolts still in there.
    2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
      Hey
      everybody,

My 91's door hinge broke into several pieces.

I've replaced it but can't get the hinge lined up.

I've removed over 20 fender bolts, 2 nuts & a spring, but it still won't budge.

Does anyone know to remove the stinkin thing?

All help would be appreciated!!!!
      How'd it break?

Comment

One day it just wouldn't close all the way.

Then the rubber bushing fell out & it closed.

The 2 metal "hoops" that hold the shaft for the bushing split.

I've been castigating my 8 yr old for slamming the pass side door, I kept telling him that if he kept it up, he would rip it off the hinges.....then my side broke!!! LOL

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

The doors need to be slammed otherwise you can't tell if the door will stay shut. Can say it from experience from Vicky.

Comment

lol

Comment

barely shut mine and they latch....Deuce needs his doors aligned....age has settled in and they sag a lil bit....big ass doors
              Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Keep looking for bolts,there are 2 on the bottom rear of the fender next to the door,and quite a few in the battery tray/washer fluid area on both sides.Once your Finished this is what it will look like.

Took these back when I had to align my PS door from so many years of ppl slamming it,things like a door not shutting perfectly and uneven body lines will bug the hell out of me,so I had to fix it.
                Last edited by LTDMan83; 04-23-2009, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Also forget to mention,there is a hidden bolt behind the inner fender liner,(Look at the area circled in the pic)which you have to remove a Plastic Cover Plate to get to.
                  Last edited by LTDMan83; 04-23-2009, 07:46 PM.

Comment

I hate to say it, but I don't think you need to take the fender off to fix the hinge alignment.

I recently changed the lower hinge on the drivers door of my 90. I've never liked fucking with panel fit, but the door was sagging so I decided to fix it. After all, I had two brand new hinges. Thankfully only the lower was bad because my upper was welded on.

It took my and my brother about an hour to line everything up. I removed the whole door, and then changed the hinges. After I mounted the hinge, I kept bringing the door back and mounting it (pulling the wire harness in and out of the door for every test fit). I made small adjustments by moving the hinge on the body in between test fits. You can also make smaller adjustments where the hinge mounts to the door. In addition you can adjust the striker bolt. It was a little hard to keep taking the door on and off (two people is a must) but in my opinion a hell of alot easier than taking the fender off. Now you'll have to align the fender when you're done.

Also, tape the edges of the door with heavy tape (greatly diminished the risk of scratching the paint!)
                    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Thanks for all the info.

I will not have time to look at it again till at least wed nite...

Sooo, I guess i'll be sliding over from the pass side a little longer....

I'm working solo & have had the door on & off quite a few times, I feel like it's only going to happen if I can get to the hinges w/the door on the car....

Comment

Yes,the fender does have to be taken off to properly fix the Hinge Alignment,not just on these cars eather,pretty much all body on frame cars are the same way.I was also working alone w/No Help around,and could'nt have taken off the door or hood by myself,even if I would have needed to.

The part of the hinges that connects to the door,only controls the (In and Out Alignment),not what I needed.The front part of the Hinges which attach to the body Control the Up/Down&Forward/Back Movement.Which in this case I needed mine to go Up and Back a little.The Striker pin can only control where the rear of the door sits,and will do nothing to align the door itself.Re-aligning the fender during re-install is nothing,shims actually control where the Fender sits and the Fender Gap in relation to the door.

You'll have to remove the fender to do a proper job.Replacing those hinges is nothing,re-aligning that door is where you'll be catching a hard time at.
                        Last edited by LTDMan83; 07-31-2007, 01:12 AM.

Comment

The doors on my coupe are sagging somewhat and I dread the day when I have to get them fixed. The passenger side was adjusted at a body shop once for closing problems. On the same side, the upper hinge has pulled some of the metal away from the body at a seam and lets water in. They have those door hanger things that hold the door for you but I have no clue what they cost. I'm just very careful with the doors and cringe when someone opens to get in the passenger seat.
                          sigpic
                          1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                          Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

I don't know what it is,but it sends a cold shiver up my spine everytime someone has ever slammed my door.I find myself reminding my friends and passengers every single time they get in the car to not slam the door.

Those tudor doors are so large they would definitely take a couple of people to align,and would be a major PITA.

Comment

Custom87, you make good points, however:

I took the door totally off of the hinges, with the hinges still mounted on the car, and then took the lower hinge off the car. (I didn't notice that the top hinge was welded on, and tried to move it anyways. I tweaked it alittle, then found out it was welded, so I actually had to adjust the upper hinge as well.) I was able to completely line up the hinge, and put the door back on, without even having to think about removing the fender and or hood. Mind you, I was a fool and did not outline the location of the stock hinge, which meant I had to reset all of my gaps. On my first try, the upper rear corner of the drivers door was 4 inches too low. In other words, I had to realign the door.

Why is it necessary to remove the fender?

Also, this would be quite a job with a two door car, I'm sure those doors are heavy as hell.
                              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Working...
                              X