Dying a vinyl top?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dying a vinyl top?

I need to dye the vinyl top on my Town Car black. How should I go about this? I want it to last but I don't mind reapplying stuff next summer if I need to. I have to have it blackish before it gets too cold to dye it though. It's grey right now.

There are a couple of catalogs that might help you out. I think JC Whitney sells a vinyl repair kit that comes with some sort of filler and a dye for the vinyl. There is also Eastwood Inc. that might also have a similar kit. I don't have a recent catalog so you will have to go to their website. I considered doing this as well, but I think I will wait until I have enough money to get the car painted and then remove the vinyl all together.

Packman

Comment

I used Duplicolor Gloss Black Vinyl & Fabric Paint.It took 2 full cans to get even coverage,but It has held up perfectly for the past 2 years.It is now starting to fade on the top of the roof,(to be expected)and will need to be applied again soon,still perfect on the sides though.

Just make sure you get your vinyl top as clean as you possibly can,or it will not last.I think I spent probably 3 hours cleaning mine before dying it.

Beware,wear a good filtered mask when you use this stuff,it is very,very bad to the lungs and brain,much worse than regular paint.

Comment

Wow, so the spraycan really'll stand up that long? Do you have any before & after photos of your top? What color was it before black?

Thanks!

Comment

Can't speak for all spray can vinyl dye,but this duplicolor chit has held up excellent.Don't have any before photos unfortunately,but the top was a light shade of beige ,which is why it took 2 full cans to get even coverage.

Here are pics of the Duplicolor Vinyl Dye,and a current pic of my Vinyl Top,not bad for having spent about 1 1/2yrs out in the scorching southern sun.The only places where the dye is coming off is where I had fisheye problems during painting,because of some silicon containing car care products I had used the week before.

I'm gonna be touching it up this weekend,before it gets much colder.
          Last edited by LTDMan83; 04-23-2009, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Not quite black enough for my tastes, but it'll do for now. Thank you sir, you've solved my conundrum! I'll have to go buy some of that stuff tomorrow.

Comment

Hey Jim, Did you ever get to doing it? I think I may do this to my top on the '91, the tan is all nasty from mildew and stuff. I've cleaned it but it's stained. Also anyone had anyluck fixing cracks in the vinyl top? I have a small 1" - 1.5" crack I'd like to fix. Ive seen repair kits but I'd like to check with those I trust first.
              Resident diesel addict

Comment

Yeah, I did it a few nights ago. It looks AWESOME! The can recommends you spray between 70 and 90 degrees Fahrenheit. I did it outside at night in sub-freezing temperatures, and I laid it on too thick on one side and caused massive drips. The next day, after it dried, it looked GREAT! Probably the best looking part of this car at the moment.

One note: The back of the can says to use detergent to clean the top. They didn't say what kind of detergent so I just used a small amount of car wash soap and a scrub brush.

Comment

That's the nice thing about this Vinyl Paint,you can mess up on the application,and it still evens itself out while it drys.

Comment

Originally posted by FastGallopingPonies View Post
                    Hey Jim, Did you ever get to doing it? I think I may do this to my top on the '91, the tan is all nasty from mildew and stuff. I've cleaned it but it's stained. Also anyone had anyluck fixing cracks in the vinyl top? I have a small 1" - 1.5" crack I'd like to fix. Ive seen repair kits but I'd like to check with those I trust first.

My top was mildew stained as well.Believe it or not I actually used the Chemically Abrasive,Tilex Mold & Mildew Remover,Bathroom Tile Cleaning stuff on it,scrubbed the crap out of it and got every damn micron of mildew out of the top,before I painted it.I was afraid that if I didn't the paint/dye wouldn't adhere very well.

Eastwood Co actually makes a very good Vinyl Repair kit.I've never used it,but have read that it works quite well.

Vinyl Repair Kit

Comment

Working...
                    X