Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antenna Ideas

Hey,

I'm brand new to the form, and figured I'd give it a try.

I bought a 8 foot CB antenna, and ball mount with spring that I was planning on installing on my 84 Cop Car. I'm going to mount the mount on the driver's rear fender, and was planning on attaching the tip of the antenna above the rear driver's door. Any ideas on how to attach the tip? Thanks.
    sigpic

Welcome to GMN, I'm sure someone well versed in CB's will chime in soon.

Scott??????????????
    1987 LTD CROWN VICTORIA, 5.0 EFI, MAGNAFLOW DUAL EXH, RED LANDAU
    FRESH AOD, 3.27 OPEN DIFF, 57K MILES, B&M SHIFT KIT AND R134A A/C

Comment

The antenna shouldn't be bent over like that. It won't function properly if you're actually planning to use it for the CB. Is this going to be functional, or just to have an antenna there for the old style cop look?

by the way
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        The antenna shouldn't be bent over like that. It won't function properly if you're actually planning to use it for the CB. Is this going to be functional, or just to have an antenna there for the old style cop look?

by the way
        I think he means a whip antenna, in which case they do bend over like that because of their length.

I know this is a ridiculous example, but I can't find any better ones and it's bed time for me:

Comment

to GMN

My 78 had a built in CB so the radio and CB were a combo antenna deal. yea they whip antenna on his i think too

Comment

I figured he meant a whip antenna, nothing else is that length. They're still not supposed to be bent over like that for optimal performance. It messes with the polarity and brings it too close to the body of the car which causes weird loading problems. basically it should be as close to vertical as possible, and perpendicular to the ground plane, which in this case is the roof and trunk line. It needs to be vertical simply because most cb rigs use a vertical antenna. Running horizontal antennas (aka "flat side) gives about 20 db of loss when its picked up on a vertical antenna. Every 3db is 50% signal loss, so thats a pretty huge amount. Diagonal is less of a loss, but its still a loss. Ideally, strings going forward to keep the antenna vertical would be used for optimal performance.

I used to run a 102" whip off the rear bumper of my VW. It would lay over pretty good while driving. Never did talk worth a crap when driving because of it. Did quite nicely sitting still though, had a Cobra 148 and a slapped together 300 watt amp that would talk all over the country under the right conditions. Good old Uncle Charlie (aka the FCC) took the amp from me. I still have the radio.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i've tried the 102" whip on a panther, reception sucks while driving.......i have a wilson 1000 trunk lip mount (ancient dont know what they are named now) on my townie.....works well, and i can remove the whip easilly for parking garages and car washes

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Welcome to GMN!

I have no experience with CB Antennas, so I won't comment on that;

Just wanted to say that, I saw your 86 on cardomain, and was very impressed that you actually went though all that trouble to convert your Regular Vinyl top into a Coach Roof, as well as having the Interior Headliner piece recovered. To date your the only person I've seen that has done so. on that.

Comment

when i go in a underground parking garage i have a piece of mechanics wire that i bend around the tip of the anntena and hook to the car, you can also use a pice of string with a loop in it, only works if you have a tip on your mast.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                  1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                  1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                  2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                  2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

i would do as Scott mentioned. get a quick release that is worked by pressing down and twisting to relaease or put back on. i used to run a magnet mount with a 4-5 foot antenna. it isnt always about length of antenna neither. a CB antenna is optimal at about 120 inches. that includes the windings in the base of the antenna also. having it bent over the way you are talking causes a reflectivity off the vehicle, and doesnt allow the signal to be received or sent very well.
                    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

My Wilson 1000 used to do well, but its old and falling apart, so it doesn't do so hot anymore. Yay for 10 year old antennas that don't hold water out any more. Might replace the magnet with a regular trunk lip mount since its just the magnet part thats bad on mine.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. It is a whip antenna, and it is solely for estic purposes, as I don't have a CB radio yet. I'm just going for that old school cop look. I think with push bumpers on the front (need some modification to fit), a chrome spot light on the A-Pillar, the antenna on the rear fender, and a black and white paint job (eventually), it should look pretty good.
                        sigpic

Comment

Radio shack use to sell a plastic isolator I have used on my 86 Ranger years ago. it is for bending the antenna and hooking to the rain gutter. it prevents the interference. I kept my antenna down while not off roading. because of the hight it would hit on just about everything, drive thru over hangs ect.

Tim
                          2000 Ford Crown Victoria
                          84 Lincoln Town car signature, R.I.P
                          85 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2 door performance project
                          89 Lincoln town car: RIP
                          89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP
                          1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
                          1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (sold)
                          2004 Mercury Marauder. owned for a week then got screwed by the dealer

Comment

I always always wanted a CB but I don't shit about them. nor does anyone I've met.

someone in here should give me CB 101. or at least direct me to a reputable source which will explain to me what I'm doing.

boat boat boat.

Comment

Working...
                            X