Shaving Antenna?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shaving Antenna?

I am thinking about gettting rid of the antenna coming out of the pass. fender and relocating another one near the rear or possibly one of those antennas that fit in the molding or something. The stock antenna is killing me everytime I look at it and her Premium Sound has seen better days anyways. What did you guys do to fill in unsightly antennas, if this has been done before?

Packman

I would weld in a filler piece of metal...And you can get hidden antenna's for hot rods for somewhat cheap...$25-30 bucks
    YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

I've been wanting to do this too, but haven't gotten around to getting under the fender to see how the silly thing is screwed on there. Then there's the fact that I don't have a welder ... I suppose in theory I could bristle-disc the paint from the surrounding area and try brazing a patch in place .... hm.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Why not get power antenna?

Comment

smooth is the way to happyness....after the antenna how about the door handles!

Comment

Nah, I'd rather keep my door handles. thanks. But that antenna really ought to go. Now, if it were a factory power antenna, I wouldn't be so keen on removing it because those still look good with the antenna down.

Comment

i want to find a working power antenna off a grand marq for my Jeep...I think it would go really well on it.

Comment

I got tired of looking at mine long ago.............Here it is. She's a little Dirty right now,lol.

Steps are as follows:

1. Remove the Front Fender Antenna by prying off the chrome trim piece on top of it, and then unscrewing the 3 screws holding it onto the fender, you can then pull the Antenna and Cable out of the Top of the Fender. (I just cut my cable in half to get it out since I wasn't gonna be re-using it.)

2. Sand off all the paint in the area to be welded.

3. Cut your piece of sheetmetal to fit the Hole, (14ga Sheetmetal will be fine), then paint the Piece with & the Fender Area with Weld-thru Primer.

4. Tack the piece in place, moving in a circular pattern to minimize warpage. You can then run your Weld Bead all the way around the perimeter to finish it up.

5. Grind down the slop from your weld <(A dremel & conical sanding stone comes in handy here). Sand the area down again with 36-80g, and clean in prep for Body Filler.

6. Apply Body Filler and Sand Down Flat, make sure it is Completely flat before you go any further, your hand and sense of touch will be able to tell better than your eye will. Finish the Filler up with 200-320g.

7. Prep for Paint, and Spray with High Build or Self-Etching Primer, and Sand with 400g.

8. Prep for Paint Again, and Spray with Base Coat or Sealer Primer, depending on were your going with your paintjob at the time.

Provided that you drill the hole in the correct place on the rear quarterpanel, the power antenna from the Box Towncar will bolt right up inside the trunk of the LTD Vic/Marquis just like it does on the TC, Since the interior body bracing structures are the same. I did have to slightly modify the interior carpet piece though.

Made the entire Front End look 10X Better, in my Opinion.

/
                Last edited by LTDMan83; 12-15-2007, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Why would you need to shave the antenna? What are you people doing to make them hairy?

If you want an antenna in the back, you could just upgrade to the superior Lincoln model
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I am definitely going to take this into consideration when I decide to get the car painted in the early summer. My ma's Premium Sound isn't really working, so after the paint and engine upgrades, I will focus on getting the radio and other stuff to work again.

My Malibu had an antenna inside the window molding. I don't know if it came like that out of the factory or if it was installed. I do know that it still had the original radio when I installed the system. I would love to get one of these antennas for the CV.

Packman

Comment

+1 I don't have a radio in the Mercury right now, and I've been driving around with the antenna off but the mount still sitting there looking silly. I also want to do a hidden antenna when/if I put another stereo in the car. Very interesting to learn that I don't have to access the underside of the fender. Thanks for the discussion, LTDMan83!

Comment

I'm not sure but I think the Cobra R just has a little rubber cap covering the hole...lol

Comment

I could see that. Costs too much to make a fender without it, I suppose. Someday those little rubber plugs will be very much in demand by resto freaks, kind of like with original '60s Shelby parts nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            If you want an antenna in the back, you could just upgrade to the superior Lincoln model

Nah, I like the LTD better. I'll just rape the Box Towny of all its Power Electrical Goodness, and Install it into mine.

/

Comment

i have a shaved antenna. my new one sticks to the windshield inside th car just above the rear view mirror.

my cardomain page is http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2944469

Comment

Working...
                              X