Paint.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paint.

Mang's i gotsa simple question. Why is it when I paint a part. It flakes off? I mean parts that have never been painted before etc. And are degreased,

two of my rims teh paint flakes off. It flaked off on my fan. And it flaked off on the bottom of my fan shrode UGHA!
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

its all in prep.

When I did my Cam cover for the Capri I used a wire brush on it to clean off all traces of rust and then I scrubbed it off wish a Brillo pad and dish soap....then I dried it off and then used latex gloves and rubbing alcohol to clean off oils because even your fingers have some natural oils on them. hope this helps...Oh and on plastic You need paint made just for plastic or even if you clean it very well it will flake.
    YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Get a can a carb cleaner, or brake cleaner (not the cheap stuff) rinse the part off with said cleaner and wait a minute or two for it to evaporate. These very harsh cleaners will rinse the part completely of any oil residue, that brillo pads and wire brushes can leave behind. Works every time, EXCEPT! I did have one part that I could never get cleaner enough to paint. I used an entire can after wire brushing the hell out of the part but just couldn't get it clean. The damn ash tray was just ruined, my guess is the metal was impregnated with shit and wouldn't hold paint. Ended up having to take it to someone with a sand blaster, 2 minutes later I had a perfect coat of paint on it.

Comment

What he said. carb cleaner works well. I use walmart stuff myself. The shit from advance is like kerosene in a can, does not work for paint prep.

the one thing i can't paint on my car is my upper alternator bracket. No matter what I do, it fisheyes. I suspect someone applied silicone belt dressing at one time, and it splattered on the bracket. Once that shit gets in the metal, forget about painting it. I also need to re-do my PS bracket, it didn't get the best prep work when I stuck the motor in, and its flaking a bit. I really should remove the PS pump from the bracket totally so I can get it really clean.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

For car painting at least, the best way is to get a can of silicone and grease remover as your final step. Brake clean and carb cleaner will leave a residue that will cause issues, but are great as an initial step. You also need an adhesion promoter or decent primer if depending on the surface. I painted my pumpkin cover with no primer using VHT caliper paint and no issues at all yet.
          sigpic
          1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
          Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            What he said. carb cleaner works well. I use walmart stuff myself. The shit from advance is like kerosene in a can, does not work for paint prep.

the one thing i can't paint on my car is my upper alternator bracket. No matter what I do, it fisheyes. I suspect someone applied silicone belt dressing at one time, and it splattered on the bracket. Once that shit gets in the metal, forget about painting it. I also need to re-do my PS bracket, it didn't get the best prep work when I stuck the motor in, and its flaking a bit. I really should remove the PS pump from the bracket totally so I can get it really clean.
            Theres my bobo right there hehe. i was useing the advance carb cleaner hehe. o well.

Ima half to take my fan off agine anyways i see now that my fan clutch is poo so i am gonna fix that and re paint!
            People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

Working...
            X