vinyl top intervention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vinyl top intervention

Ruby had a new top when i got her and it really looked good. time and weather.... now i have several 2 or 3 inch places where the seams are separating.

overall it still looks good and where the seams are splitting , they're still snug against the roof not flapping or gaping.

my question, is there anything that dont look shitty i can apply to the seams that will keep it from getting worse?
    s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/brokebill/
    "Ain't we gonna bury him ?"
    "Buzzards gotta eat same as worms."
    ----outlaw josey wales
    (88 LTD Crown Vic LX-Ruby)

and whats the best dressing for it that wont end up running milky down the quarterpanel?
    ----outlaw josey wales

Comment

The seams you're talking about, are they the areas with the stitching or by the opera window? I'm sure there is a 3m adhesive or something like the glue they use to install that would help solve the problem. For dressig/protect, I'd avoid silicone and of course evil Armor All. A lot of people talk about 303 cleaner and protectant and have great reaults with it. I know Turtle Wax used to make a vinyl top wax we used to use on the vinyl.
      sigpic
      1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
      Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

looked around a bit an it seems they make a lot of affordable vinyl top repair kits. anyone ever tried one?

would i match the color to the dull cleaned/stripped shade neccessary for applicaton or to the shade when its dressed and shiny?
        thanks
        ----outlaw josey wales

Comment

Got pics?
          Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
          Bone stock... for now.

Comment

The Eagle1 nano vinyl cleaner is great. That's what I use to keep mine clean and smooth.
            1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
            1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
            1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
              Got pics?
              hope to have capability soon. c'mon tax refund!
              ----outlaw josey wales

Comment

the home vinyl repair kits are shit.

to keep the seems together use super glue to re-attach them together
                http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Blehh, mine is way way to far gone for any kit. I'd have 100-200 repair sections to do. The kits are okay for perhaps one or two nicks from something like a tree branch or storm damage. I priced a professional premade custom top in the correct color for mine at about $260 before shipping. I'd consider saving the cash on repair kits and look into getting it redone if its getting bad. If it's just lifting but still in decent shape, then you can reattatch with glue.
                  sigpic
                  Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

not 1 rip in the whole top , just startin to separate at all the stitchwork. still not curling up or lifting so if i can prevent that, neatly, the top will still look almost new.

just dont want to make it look sloppy when a good top makes such a difference in her overall appearance.
                    ----outlaw josey wales

Comment

I'm not really sure how something like that would be dealt with. I figured the glue applied overall would help keep the top from shifting and seperation at the seams. It seems the colder temps can wreak havoc on the vinyl tops though with shrinkage. If it was happening to me, I might try put in a few more stitches in small sections or adding some glue under before putting the stitches in.
                      sigpic

Comment

shame theres nothing good to fill in the seam gapping thats the right shade to also glue it so it looks right. hate to see it get worse.
                        ----outlaw josey wales

Comment

Perhaps you can check at some shops that replace vinyl tops and see if they have any advice. Now, in saying this I'm sure some will just try and talk you into having it redone, or say it needs to be replaced, but maybe someone will know of a decent fix for the existing top. Mine looks horrible, sort of like gator skin (consisting of cracks) so the fix for me is simple.
                          sigpic

Comment

USE SUPER GLUE... camping tents come with super glue for the seams. think of how tight you pull the tent when putting it together. it also acts as a sealer from keeping moisture from getting thru the seam.
                            Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Working...
                            X