vinyl or no vinyl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No vinyl!

The window trim shouldn't be terribly tough to get thru people on here, either...
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

get a new top

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

NONO Spend the money on fixing that rust and painting her.....and get an HO swap!
        YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Slick top all the way.

Comment

I'm personally not a fan of vinyl tops, not so much because of the appearance, but because of exactly what you experienced with yours--the sheet metal rusts underneath it. For that reason, I'll take a slicktop over a vinyl top any day of the week. I honestly don't mind the appearance of them for the most part, though in my opinion, the slicktop looks just as good. Like I said, though, just for the sake of keeping the sheet metal from rusting, I'd leave the vinyl off. I've seen too many cars get huge rust spots right at the bottom of the C-pillar because of vinyl tops.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
            1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
            But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

what did you use to strip the glue off?

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
              My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

we used 3M general purpose adhesive remover, and a plastic putty knife, and alot of work lol
                ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
                ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

Comment

def fix the rust and idk maybe slick top would be sweet on that one

Comment

Originally posted by Bowman85merc View Post
                    we used 3M general purpose adhesive remover, and a plastic putty knife, and alot of work lol
                    I can imagine!

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
                    My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Vinyl top! Get the message?

Comment

^^^
                        what message?

Comment

yea we are most likely doing the vinyl top we just don't want to go though all the work of filling in the holes
                          ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
                          ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

Comment

Ditch the vinyl!

Trust me, the "work" will be WELL worth it with the final looks. you want a hotrod, or a granny car?

Well, if you have a vinyl top, it ain't a hot rod. Sorry, Charlie...
                            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post
                              Ditch the vinyl!

Trust me, the "work" will be WELL worth it with the final looks. you want a hotrod, or a granny car?

Well, if you have a vinyl top, it ain't a hot rod. Sorry, Charlie...
                              wow one little thing like a vinyl top will make the difference of your car being a granny car and a hot rod? :nonono: I don't blame him for not wanting to fill up all those holes. And I don't think that you should categorize a car as a granny car just because it has a vinyl top.

Comment

It's his car he can do whatever he wants keeping the vinyl top or whatever, don't label the car as a granny car because it has a damn vinyl top!! VINYL FTW :p

Comment

Working...
                                X