• Show
Clear All

Rocker winter prep ?

I have in my garage :

White lithium grease

Brown/Gold bearing grease

Zep 45 http://webfiles.acuitysp.com/psr/zeppsr/psr_0562.PDF

Zep brand Moly lube http://www.rpi.co.th/psr/ML%20lubricant.PDF

Which should I smear hand fulls of all over the rockers,Behind the covers and behind the rockers near the frame ?

I will never care how the grease looks or if it ever dries. I just want to protect them at all cost.

Thanks guys.

Hm. I would have thought the more usual approach would be copious quantities of Turtle Wax.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Well the lithium and bearing grease came from a stand point of how difficult it is to remove from parts.

The Zep 45 comes from a WD40 suggestion
      The ML spray, Well at my plant we use that to treat a Pit magnet cable. This magnet travels under water 10x an hour from Sunday 7pm til Firday 4pm. And it never washes off. I also treat a box like shape the magnet drops its load into, This box still shows the purple/yellow/black runs associated with the spray..Days later.

Although I do have a tub of Turtle ICE paste that I personally hate, I could use the rest of that on this.

Comment

Alot of times cars rust from the inside out, so you need to get something on the inside that will penetrate panel seams. The rockers rust because of the stuff (leaves and dirt and schtuff) that is trapped behind those plastic mouldings, right? I'd smear some grease on the outside, to prevent rust and shit on the outside, but I'd also spray something inside the rockers, to penetrate the seam and prevent rust on the inside.
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I shot some of that 45 in all the holes and pulled the rubber plugs too.70% Ran out somewhere behind them. But I have looked back there...It aint rusted thru anywhere ?

Comment

Originally posted by 97cv View Post
            I shot some of that 45 in all the holes and pulled the rubber plugs too.70% Ran out somewhere behind them. But I have looked back there...It aint rusted thru anywhere ?
            Drain oil/ used trans fluid combo in an agricultural sprayer is your friend. Take out the trunk mats, spray the lower rear quarters, and along the wheelhouse, so that it runs down over the wheelhouse into the dog leg. Spray it in the latch of the door until it runs out the holes at the bottom of the doors. Take the body plugs out of the b pillars, and spray down in there too... Of course, make sure you do all of this on plastic, so it doesn't leak on the ground. And, dispose of that plastic properly...
            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Plugs in B pillars- Do you mean the rubber ones "Outside" the rockers ?

I did those and the dog legs too. I think w/ the two rubber plugs I have 5 factory holes in the rockers. I sprayed them all.

Wait til I find out that 1% of the propellant removes paint...Er something doomsday like that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A good use for trans and oil, Hell I have 6 gallons of that shit AND a sprayer I use for nasty stuff and NOT the garden.

Nice.

Comment

I know it's not something you already have handy but Eastwood sells something similar to what you're looking for. It's Called Heavy Anti-Rust and it's this waxy coating that keeps the air and water out and also self heals if scratched. Supposed to work great on places like rockers, of course since it's waxy you can't paint over it.
                sigpic
                1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

White can, Blue lettering w/ an old chevy on it ?

Comment

Originally posted by 97cv View Post
                    White can, Blue lettering w/ an old chevy on it ?

That would be the one.

It even comes with an extra nozzle, that you can attach the included straw to, and then be able to spray it through the factory body/frame holes, to get into the tight spaces.

I have used it before, and it really is an excellent product.

Comment

the rockers rust from the inside out......eiither dont drive it on salty roads or wash it very often

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Use chain saw bar lube. A air powered undercoating gun helps. Its clear it hardens. Dosent dammage wiring sheathing. I store blocks, heads , cams, etc covred with the stuff. Nevr had any rust 10 yeras and more later even when stored in mini wearrhouses. Coat the under side of my cars with it. The guy that bought my 96 F350 inspeected the truck and boughtit from me in in 98. He said new trucks in Ford car lots had more rust than mine. Its cheep too. Oh my machinest always ask me what the hell I coated my parts with. It is difficult to remove. It is designed to cling to metal guides flying aroud the chain saw bar. It displacees water. Best to spray and brush on hen its hot out or you havee to warm it up.
                        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I second the not driving on salty roads. Buy a cheap winter beater, and keep the panther safe, and non-rotten.

Comment

I can olny afford to drive this one car... I wish I could store him, But adding anything above what my payment will be brings me too close to my "Spend less than you make line"

Comment

Originally posted by LTDMan83 View Post
                              I second the not driving on salty roads. Buy a cheap winter beater, and keep the panther safe, and non-rotten.

My '90 will be in storage this winter I'll get it under-coated before storage though!
                              '79 Continental Town Car
                              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                              X