Weatherstrip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weatherstrip

Trunk, doors, etc.... Can these be bought new or is this a "cut some off at the JY and get something close to it" type of deals? I'm thinking of going to the JY again this weekend and cutting some weather stripping off of the MGM I have been picking apart and look up some examples in JC Whitney. Thought I would run it by you guys/gals first.

Packman

I desperately need some new door weatherstripping for my Town Car. I am eager to find the answer to this question as well.

Comment

I think this is everyone's best bet. Compare the old to the new and go for it.

~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Question...those that want new door weatherstripping...may i ask why? Is water leaking in? If so i have a solution ( a rather unique one that once heard of will be frowned upon, and it is not the stuffing of rope between the weatherstripping, but worse :eviland it only involves removing all trim surrounding the door weatherstripping and then a BFH. It worked great for me. Thats all i will say until someone shows some interest in the idea.

Edit: for the window channels (around windows in door frame) JcWhitney style 26 is NO GOOD.

style 27 would be the ticket but it is no longer in production
        Last edited by 87gtVIC; 06-26-2009, 07:50 AM.
        ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

i know the trunk weatherstripping is available.......happens to be the same as a fox mustang hatchback......jc whitney is where i got it.....was listed for a box vic but the box said 79-93 mustang
          dew wipes me and david covered that jc whitney
          door weatherstripping and window felts......order some samples from jc whitney and see whats the closest......somebody has to be the guinea pig......this guinea pig is broke right now

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I just found this.http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/pts/1239922507.html

maybe you should check it out and tell us how it goes
            ~David~

Comment

I just e-mailed them. I think JC Whitney is gonna be our best bet, though.

I need new weatherstripping because my car leaks air on the highway and it drives me nuts. It sounds like the window is open even when it's not. It's possible something is still tweaked from the accident, but it's as fixed as it's ever going to get, so I'm going to try new weatherstripping first, then I'm going to start re-aligning everything in an effort to pull the doors closer to the body.

Comment

Listen to me. Take the molding in the way of the door weatherstripping out. Take out the weatherstripping and with a big hammer bang that channel that the weatherstripping sits on outwards so it will sit closer to the door. It sounds brutal, and probably is, but works really well.
                ~David~

Comment

Nick, is the weatherstripping trashed, or just flattened out?
                  **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                  **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                  **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                  **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I lost the rubber drip rail on both front doors and the rear doors have small pieces missing from them. This is why I would like to get a sample from the JY and get some fresh stuff.

Packman

Comment

ahh that piece above the door frames on the body of the car. That is an interesting piece that i have no idea if someone manufactures something close to it.
                      ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                        Listen to me. Take the molding in the way of the door weatherstripping out. Take out the weatherstripping and with a big hammer bang that channel that the weatherstripping sits on outwards so it will sit closer to the door. It sounds brutal, and probably is, but works really well.
                        I never thought of that. I'll keep that in mind when it comes time to replace it. I'm hesitant to do such a thing on a newly-painted car, but I will certainly keep it in mind and decide when the time comes.

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                        Nick, is the weatherstripping trashed, or just flattened out?
                        It's flattened out. As you know, after the accident I put front doors on from an '85. My theory is that either the weatherstripping was molded to the previous doors and there's something just barely different enough to let a bit of a leak in - either that, or they're spaced too far away from the body. Either way, all the body lines match up at the moment so if I have to pull the doors closer to the body that means I'm going to have to pull the fenders in too so it all matches.

Also, I asked about my '88 Town Car and all other Panthers '79-'91. This is the reply I got:

Sorry, at this time we have replacements only for '92 and up. Thank you for checking with us, Nick.

Ed Cutshall

Weatherstrip Special™
                        A division of Bethel's Goat Farm ... GTOŽ
                        1449 Pomona Avenue
                        San Jose, CA 95110
                        (888) 999-7876 Toll-free
                        (408) 295-7611 Voice
                        (408) 295-2015 FAX

Comment

my townie makes wind noise too, and it has never been wrecked, so your body is probably ok nick

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

*shrug* it was dead silent before I got into the accident and over a year later when it was drivable again it sounded like I had a window open all the time. A lot changed in that time period, and I went over every inch of that car with a sanding block for nearly two months and never noticed a wrinkle or anything - plus it was pulled back to spec on a frame machine by the best frame guy in the area.

However, it did push my front doors into my B-pillar, so I am still going to stay open to any and all possibilities until I figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSteakJim View Post
                              Also, I asked about my '88 Town Car and all other Panthers '79-'91. This is the reply I got:
                              damn.... Figures.
                              ~David~

Comment

Working...
                              X