getting the windows tinted...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

getting the windows tinted...

well im finally going to spend a penny on something non-performance related and get me some tint. I'm thinkin 15% all around with a slight curved strip in the front windshield not much lower than factory tint line up their. I know 15%'s not to cop friendly and around here you win some and ya lose some with that tint in the front door windows cop wise, but hey, i'm 18 and for some reason like to learn eveything the hard way still so i'm gunna give her a whirl.

Hows the tint work on these with the rear defroster lines? I won't be using it at all after the tint so is their any way i can shave them down or anything to make the rear window more tint friendly?

I'd also like to see some pics of your rides with tint and the % if you have some pics kickin around to show me.
    Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
    HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

There shouldn't be any issues with the rear defroster lines. Also, make sure the rear window is done in one piece, with no cutout for the 3rd brake light. Use your head when getting pulled over, or followed, by a cop. This is what I usually did:

All windows down, dome light clicked on, car turned off, keys on the dash, and hands at 10 and 2 until approached. Also, no digging around for the wallet/registration and seatbelt left on until the LEO was ready.

Seemed to work pretty well. Never questioned or bothered by the tint, although it may be part of the reason why I was pulled over so much. Only asked to get out at gunpoint once.

I went with 10% as it's all the guy had on hand to do my car with the one piece rear window. It was super dark at first. Lightened up a bit after 2-3 years or so. For pics, just click the link in my sig. Look at the exterior folder, as well as the "meet" subfolders.

Comment

Only asked to get out at gunpoint once.
      haha

around here tint is their new thing to be strict on but i really like the look of 10% on your car and i think i'm going to probly go 10% now. My buddy had 2.5% limo (black black) and was ok for 2 years but fined 3 times in the last 4 months so he took it off the front windows but 10% might be doable with the odd fine every 2 years or so maybe. Plus cops let 2 buddies go now with a 40 and 50 over speeding ticket and gave them a tint ticket to "let them off" so thats not so bad haha.
      HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

You won't be able to see a thing at night. In my old '89 wagon with legal tint all around I had trouble seeing things at night. I'd never go more than 30%.
        2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
        1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
        1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

You can't legally tint windows that you need to see out of around here (front, front sides), which I completely understand. 10% or 20% WILL get you heat from the Rozzers.
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by Freshmeat View Post
            You won't be able to see a thing at night. In my old '89 wagon with legal tint all around I had trouble seeing things at night. I'd never go more than 30%.
            I have to agree, too dark is not good. My brother tinted his ZX2 to I think 5% and it looked sweet but it was such a pain to back that thing up at night. Half the time I ended up just using my side mirrors like I was backing up a trailer. How to tint seems to be one of those things I debate with myself as I like the look of dark tint and the other benefits of a cool car and no need for sun glasses but then hate loosing the visibility when it is needed. I'll probably end up going 30% on my car so that I can still see out well enough to hook up my camper by myself and stuff like that and keep the cops thinking I'm an old grandpa. By the way, the cops around here give us a repair ticket meaning we either pay a huge fine or rip it off but I also have not gotten pulled over once since I moved back to a big city.

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
            You can't legally tint windows that you need to see out of around here (front, front sides), which I completely understand. 10% or 20% WILL get you heat from the Rozzers.
            In WI it just limits how dark you can tint your windows and that 2/3 of the front windshield needs to be free of any tint, now I think it is something like 30 or 40% is the darkest you can go on any window. When I first got my license it used to be only limiting the front side windows at something like 15 or 20% and the windshield needed 2/3 to have no tint and you could paint your other windows if you wanted. I used to figure I would just call on the grandfather clause and claim it was that way before the law changed but now I suppose it would be so faded if it was that way before the law it would be to the legal limit.

So would your cops bother someone from the states that had tinted front side windows? Someday I want to take a trip up to Canada and I'd probably drive maybe even bring my camper.
            '85 Mercury Grand Marquis
            only MSD multi-spark so far but hopefully a 351 on the way.

Comment

I have legal tint on my truck (35% I think). The rear window was really dark from the factory. The thing I like about my tint is that it looks darker than it is, from the outside. I never have trouble seeing at night, but when I look at my truck from the outside, I can barely see through the windows.

I don't have any tint on the windshield; around here I believe that would bring lots of unwanted attention from the local fuzz.
              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

when it comes to tinting windows in my area, the cops dont care so long the front door windows are clear. since lots of people tint em any way, i was avised 15% for the front doors. i did all 4doors 15% on the wagon and the back windows and tailgate window were done in 5%limo tint. also, as TL said, you shouldent have an issue. and as far as the rear defrost goes, the tint, if done right of course, fits over it just fine.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Have you checked out the pre-cut stuff sold on ebay? I found a store that sells pre-cut for our cars for $27 and free shipping, I doubt you could buy the tint and cut it yourself for that. That is what I'm thinking of doing for my GM. The one I found also lets you choose the darkness of each window. The only choices are 5,20,35 and 50 though.

Here is the ebay link.
                  '85 Mercury Grand Marquis
                  only MSD multi-spark so far but hopefully a 351 on the way.

Comment

yeh here thier is no written rules % wise, only officer discretion if they feel "unsafe" aproaching your vehicle. It is 100% legal to have any tint shade or even black paint on the rear window and rear door windows, but the front ones can't be to dark. And the front windshield needs 11 inches or more of clear glass to see through and thats all.

My buddys 5% tint on his truck wasn't to bad for driving but i think 10% would be good for me since i'm out in the country with no lights at all but my own. Worst case i guess is i get a few tickets and take the tint of the front 2 doors and get lighter stuff like 20 or 30 put on. These cars sure look like good candidates for tint haha.

So would your cops bother someone from the states that had tinted front side windows?

cops around here really like cherry bombs and tuners, and also like hammering them with whatever they can because they can. but older nice lookin cars and trucks with some class don't usually get to much attention tint wise.

thats good with the rear defrost, I will just make sure i don't use the defrost function as a precautionary measure.
                    Last edited by merc91; 02-02-2010, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Freshmeat View Post
                      I see you share my point of view. Of course, my tint experience was in Greg's erstwhile car with the 10% tints on all five windows. The first time I drove it was at night, and it was clear out, so I just rolled down the windows. After I bought it, driving back from his house to my dad's house on a muggy, rainy day was murder because I couldn't see squat, and I couldn't roll the windows down or I'd get drenched. Yeah, I'm afraid yanking the front-side tints was the very first thing I did, and not just because they'd have been illegal in the car's new home state.

Interestingly, with no tints at all, the same car is virtually invisible except to people who like old cop cars. I sometimes wish it generated a little attention at least, but after years driving the most identifiable car in six counties (the white wagon with black trim), it's kind of nice for a change.
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I dunno about out in the rural areas but here (scarborough) they really only care about the front windshield and driver's door.

It's not so much about you seeing out as them seeing in. Using TL's tips and going a bit lighter on the front driver's than the others will probably go a long way to keeping you out of trouble. Even if the front driver's side is 20-30% while the rest is 10%, it'll look WAY lighter by comparison, and generally if cops feel like you've made a real legit attempt to stay legal and make them feel safe, they'll leave you alone.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
                          Only asked to get out at gunpoint once.
                          :cops:
                          '79 Continental Town Car
                          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

If I were you, I would go 15% on the backs, 25 on the front and none on the windsheild. Right now i have 5% all around my backs (limo tint) and im working on getting some better shaped cling tint 5% for my fronts, that way i can take it off if it gets in the way or the cops give me problems.
                            79 Grand Marquis

Comment

5% on the back regardless of what you do on the sides. I'd probably do 35% on the rear sides, and 50% on the front doors (to keep the cops off your case).

Comment

Working...
                              X