dog dish / baby moon center cap ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dog dish / baby moon center cap ?'s

How do dog dish or baby moon style caps attach to the wheels? Pics would be super helpful. Also if any of you can come up with a clever way to mount them to wheels that werent originally made for that style of caps, I will give you some money .

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

Suspension, Chassis, Drivetrain, Brakes. Everything to do with handling. Also includes transmission discussions.

Comment

okay now how bout where the cap is much smaller than the inner ring. Any idea.

kinda like this wheel how do you think he mounted the caps?

Last edited by 1980c10; 02-18-2010, 04:45 AM.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
      Big plans

Comment

That actually doesn't look half bad. Pic of your wheels or someone else's?

The '98-up plastic cop/Exploder centercaps have special clips that fit over special lugnuts, so I wonder if it would be possible to rig something like that on an old-style metal cap?
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Yeah, I'm guessing those caps in the second picture have clips to mount to the lugnuts. There's not really anything else to which they could be attached.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
          1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
          But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

I'd assumed he had just sort of set them in there for the pictures.

Comment

No not just set for the picture, there are pics of them rolling on the vehicle, that was just the best pic to show the center cap.

And I was kinda thinking about some how getting them to work with shouldered lug nuts, but the only way I can think of involves welding to the cap, so it would ruin the chrome.
              Which isnt a big deal but getting 4 caps rechromed would be a few hundred dollars.

Shouldered lug nuts and clips to appear to be the best route, but making it work with no screws showing and keeping the chrome intacked is the hard part.

hmmmmmmmmm?

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
              Big plans

Comment

Oh, I see. So the most obvious way to proceed is to contact the owner of the vehicle in question and ask him how his centercaps are retained!

Comment

the picture is from a post 2 years ago so I dont think that will work.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                  Big plans

Comment

You dern kids! And your plastic clips and threaded lug nut stuff... =-)

Those caps get held in by friction to the wheel, some are like dog-dishes, cept inside out.

Alex.

Comment

haha Im sorry lol, Im new lol

So just make some nipples of my own on the inner lip of the ring to replicate what would be found on the outter ring of a steel wheel originaly set up for dog dish caps?

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                      Big plans

Comment

Well, this picture I found by chance at H.A.M.B. turned out to be instructive and educational. Don't seem to remember seeing this before, or else I saw it once and never had a use for the info and so promptly forgot it. Note the little nubs on the inside of the center area on this wheel.

Looks weird to me, but then, '80s Ford stuff is nearly all I know.

It occurs to me that it may be possible to create such nubs on an old wheel using a combination of heat and a round-nosed punch.

GM_Guy, you must be one o' them old timers to have known about that!

Next question: How do you get such hubcaps back off? The plastic cop caps I have are supplied with little notches around the edge that you can get a prybar into, and if you're really careful you won't damage the wheel finish getting them off. Getting them off a wheel that doesn't have the big ridge around the bolt-hole area is a little more interesting, but so far I've only done it once and don't remember just how I went about it.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by 1987cp; 02-19-2010, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Ya, I guess I must be. =-)

You jam a screwdriver into the gap and pry it out. How many/few scratches you want dictate how long it takes to remove it.

Alex.

Comment

Something obvious occurred to me today. Fewer scratches would be likely to result from hubcap removal if one could arrange to pry with something that's gentler on the finish. Applying some padding to a regular pry tool, perhaps, or maybe obtaining a prytool made of sturdy nylon.

Comment

I have my prying screwdriver wrapped with a layer of electrical tape. Works for me. I suspect nylon will either bend over so far it will be useless or break.

Alex.
                              Talking 'bout 'old guy', I just realized most of you whipper snappers probably have absolutely no idea who is in my sig pic...

Alex.
                              Shit... "Whipper Snappers"!? FFFFUUUUUuuuu =-)

Comment

Working...
                              X