Door "SPID" decal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door "SPID" decal?

Anyone know where you can get another decal for inside the door that shows all of your vehicle information? (The one inside the drivers door by the door striker receptical) I had heard once you could get a replacement one from Ford if I remember right, if you sent them the VIN number of your car...

When I paint the new doors to go on my car.. I want a new one to put on the door... since I am sure the old one will rip or tear trying to remove it from the old door... and it is sort of messed up from overspray during the last paint job. (I was afraid to try to use anything harsh, like mineral spirits or reducer to try to get it off. I figured it would probably just wipe the print right off of the decal....)

My lettering shop said he could redo it, but I want an original one from Ford if possible...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

This is a good question. It's occurred to me that it could be useful to have a matching door sticker even if only for selling the car to a non-gearhead. Granted, at least the tire and rear axle info will hopefully be no longer valid ... :banana:
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I'd actually like to know this as well, and for the same reason. New door to go on when the car is painted, etc.

As for wiping the paint off the original, I've done that with nothing more poweful than a damp rag. The stock printing is not especially durable.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I want to know as well.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I know for a fact you can get these, the muscle car guys get them all the time. Best bet is to call ford, or talk to a local body shop with a good rep. The guy who lives next to me won best restored at the GTOAA meet. His car is insane. He would know where to get al these if he were still alive. Its a damn shame he had to go so young.
          "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

i was told you can get em as well, im gonna get more info on this cause im gonna need one for GMGT too

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I'm pretty sure you can get them from a ford dealership, but if you are going for originality, you might want to have someone make it. it will be closer to the newer model. I read that somewhere in another ford forum, I'll have to see if I can't dig it up.
              Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
              New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

I stopped by the local Ford dealer today. May have been dealing with a lazy parts manager, but he said you can only get them from Ford 2 years back. I am going to write a letter to Ford customer service and see if I get a responce.
                sigpic'86 GM LS sedan bone stock 113k triple dark sable, most of the bells and whistles, second owner. SOLD 9/10, will be looking for an 89 TC when the time is right

"In order to know virtue, we must first acquaint ourselves with vice" Marquis de Sade

Comment

I FOUND IT!!!!

Try this site. They are liscenced by the original manufacturers.

but just looking at the prices, they are godly expensive
                  Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                  New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Originally posted by hemihotrod402 View Post
                    Try this site. They are liscenced by the original manufacturers.

but just looking at the prices, they are godly expensive
                    They look good, but in my (and many cases I suspect) the original label is unreadable. That site requires you to send a legible digital photo along with your $80.
                    sigpic'86 GM LS sedan bone stock 113k triple dark sable, most of the bells and whistles, second owner. SOLD 9/10, will be looking for an 89 TC when the time is right

"In order to know virtue, we must first acquaint ourselves with vice" Marquis de Sade

Comment

Couldn't you take one of anothers and describe the trim levels etc? for them to fill in.
                      "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                      1985 GMC 1500

Comment

I think you need proof that the vin number you're giving them is of a car you have

Maybe a similar tag and then the VIN tag at the front edge of the dash from your car?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

yeah, you could probably find a good door tag, just include in the email a picture of your vin tag, explain your situation (yours is illegible) and supply them with the correct info. I'd send you a pic of mine, but I don't if there is a difference between styles.

That's one problem solved, but they still want 80 bucks for it

Comment

Originally posted by cadfan64 View Post
                            They look good, but in my (and many cases I suspect) the original label is unreadable. That site requires you to send a legible digital photo along with your $80.
                            That's my question as well after reading some of their info.

I'm also unclear on how lack of a VIN sticker could cause a bodyshop to face "liability". It's a sticker, and stickers get damaged and fall off, even if you don't remove the original driver's side door. Even our 2003 Cavalier is losing its VIN sticker - it's just flapping in the breeze, without (to my knowledge) ever having been fiddled with. And I would assume that most cars owned by enthusiasts are going to be modified anyway, in which case the OE info on the sticker is going to be incorrect.
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

What they are talking about is the tire decal, if it is wrong, and someone airs the tire up to high or low...

$80.00 is nothing when it comes to my car, as I am painting all four door jambs, and replacing all four doors... So i need a new decal, regardless... I will get them to replicate mine after i get the doors swapped, and the door jambs etc. painted... I'll let you know... If anyone comes up from anything from Ford tho.. Please post it! Tom...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
                              Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X