Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting my 86GMG w/ rustoleum

Greetings!

My 1986 Grand Marquis is currently a dark blue non original color, and has a blue vinyl coach roof.

I am keeping the vinyl for now, but I am painting the rest. I already removed the old paint from the hood and started smoothing it down with bondo to get out all the dings etc. I am shaving the hood ornament and antennae.

I have an air sprayer, and will be using Rustoleum paint because it is cheap and durable, and with some work will produce a quality finish.

I live in Florida, and am concerned that a black car will absorb too much heat, therefore I plan to paint it white, or maybe even mix the paint carefully to produce another light color.

I have been looking through the reader's rides to get some ideas. I think that th white will be good and is safer and less hot than black. I can also envision adding some custom art to the car on a white area such as the trunk, maybe even a union jack (I come from England.) It's crazy, but so what?

Any ideas or comments welcome.

And yes I know I need pics! I'm just a really busy guy...

Whats wrong with blue?
    1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
    2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
    sigpic

Comment

I like the custom art/Union Jack idea!
      '79 Continental Town Car
      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

I love blue, but it's dark and will be hot... I also do not like the Rustoleum blue that is available, it would look wrong. I know that it's not really possible to go wrong with black or white, but white is more practical and stuff.

But in a perfect world, I might just keep the beautiful blue!

Also, I should mention that one of my previous cars was a 1977 Continental - white, with blue vinyl over ALL the roof. What an amazing car that was...

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
        I like the custom art/Union Jack idea!
        My wife suggested that I put it on the trunk lid. I think the American people will be cool with it too.

I'm not much of a flag waver, but I just think it's cool, like Austin Powers.

Comment

austin powers had it painted on a jaguar though, it may come off out of place on an american car

the only big issues with rustoleum is that youd have to completly sand every last bit off again if you ever plan to have the car painted professionally. thats why i usually just reserve the roll on paint jobs for true beaters.

that rustoleum is thick, i thinned it out 50/50 with paint thinner last time i did a car with it and if felt like it would have been even better at like 60/40
          1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

I'm glad you replied, I had your car in mind when I was thinking about it.

You're right about the Austin Powers thing, although there is a certain ironic appeal to having a union jack on an obviously American car.

Comment

do not use rustoleum if fades fast in the sun. my fender and doors are faded on mine i used rustoleum and regreted it you should on the cheap use single stage paint from summit and as allways make sure you use good primer not the rattle can crap

Summit Racing SUM-UP301 - Summit Racing Equipment® Acrylic Urethane Paint
              View Image and Compare
              Compare Paint, UV Stable, Acrylic Urethane, Gloss, Pure White, 1 Gallon, Each

Part Number: SUM-UP301

Estimated Ship Date: Today
              Transaction$81.95 + Wish List
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X