Chrome Paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chrome Paint?

Has anyone ever tried chrome paint? I'm thinking about experimenting with it on the Caprice to see how it works.

Its more of a shiny silver paint. Try it see how ya like it. Or you could paint the bumpers the body color.
    1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
    2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
    sigpic

Comment

looks more like clean aluminum to me

Comment

It is touch and go, I do not recommend rustoleum brand. Some of it looks close, but I think it would only look good on some trim, not really useful for bumper kinda stuff if that is what your thinking.
        "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
        1985 GMC 1500

Comment

~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

real chrome paint is expensive but looks sick as hell if you do it righthttp://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...26tbs%3Disch:1
            89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
              real chrome paint is expensive but looks sick as hell if you do it righthttp://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...26tbs%3Disch:1
              WOW
              ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

thats insane

Comment

Originally posted by insomniac391 View Post
                  thats insane
                  It seems like these cars should be not street legal. I would not want to drive and or drive near one on the freeway in the middle of a sunny july day.
                  "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                  1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Chrome paint is an oxymoron.
                    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

It's a pain in the balls to get to look right, too. Super labor intensive. Everything has to be absolutely 100% perfect.

Comment

I've used the spray can chrome paint to touch up my dash trim pieces. Works good. I wouldn't use it on chromed metal parts though.

Comment

Originally posted by neums View Post
                          I've used the spray can chrome paint to touch up my dash trim pieces. Works good. I wouldn't use it on chromed metal parts though.
                          Pics? I am currently using a 20 year old felt tipped silver marker.
                          ~David~

Comment

I dont know man, the lid looks good, but Im not liking the base

time for some wire seperators

overall doesnt look clean or presentable to me :dunno:

Comment

The chrome paint that actually looks like chrome actually starts with a black base. As Nick said, the black base has to be perfect, perfect, perfect.

After the base is ready, an expensive topcoat is misted on to provide the final finish. I saw Gene Winfield apply that finish to the roof of one of Billy Gibbon's Cadillacs (on TV, of course).

The spray bomb stuff is not that hot, in my opinion. It smudges after it is 'dry', in my experience. Maybe if you topcoat it with a decent clear, the results would be ok.
                              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Working...
                              X