Lower Body Molding Trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lower Body Molding Trim

I knocked the drivers side lower body trim off my 90 GM. It is bent in 2 places. I need help on how to repair the mounting clips if need be or do I need to. How do I remove the trim from my 91 GM and move over to my 90.

Any help is apprecieated.

See attached photos
    Attached Files

good luck trying. the clips have retainer tabs on them that are only accessible from the outside if the clip (which is between the clip and the moulding) and makes it damn near impossible to remove. Ford parts quoted $200 for the lower door moulding assembly (moulding with clips) when I checked last week for the passenger side that mine needs (both doors). I'm not sure that there is any way to safely remove the moulding from the clips without breaking the clips. I tried several different ways to try to save some of the clips when I got hit. I also could not locate just the clips from ANY supplier (and I have a few connections).
    Last edited by sly; 04-05-2010, 10:56 PM. Reason: stoopid typoes

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

There is a nut in the rear wheel well. Remove that nut and then just pull the trim right out. You will hear popping but that is just the clips releasing the trim. To install the trim on the other car just get the bottom edges under the clip and then push that ledge up and snap the lower rocker trim in place. I am sure your existing clips are fine.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I took mine off no problem, there is a body nut type deal in the rear of each, after that it is just clips. If you break the clips bring one to the local body shop and they will have the newer style ones that will work. If you break the pin holding the clip use a screw head in a more forward spot. just make sure to center it up and down so the trim isnt crooked.
        "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
        1985 GMC 1500

Comment

newer style clip? where? part #? I've been looking for over a year for those damn clips and nobody (including Ford) has found anything that would work. I finally gave up and pitched my mouldings about 3 months ago. I also tried sliding them off the remaining clips... but the clips either shattered or they would not come off of the moulding.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Wow, I don't think I've ever broken one of those clips...

Comment

the plastic welding that holds the chromed inner piece at the end would not allow the clips to slide off. The track that the clips were in didn't have any ramping to allow it to slide off and was just cracking the plastic welding too. I finally just pulled as hard as I could (sliding motion) and broke the front 2 clips and said to hell with it and yanked the stuff off since half the clips were broken from the impact already. Not a single clip survived.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                newer style clip? where? part #? I've been looking for over a year for those damn clips and nobody (including Ford) has found anything that would work. I finally gave up and pitched my mouldings about 3 months ago. I also tried sliding them off the remaining clips... but the clips either shattered or they would not come off of the moulding.
                I got them from sanels here in keene, they are aftermarket. Let me see if I have the extras, I think they got thrown away, if they did I dont have the # unless I yank my trim again. They have a different type of spring on the bottom, that actually works better.
                "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                1985 GMC 1500

Comment

well... maybe I'll junk yard it and see if I can slide the old ones off a non-damaged passenger side. If you don't have the #s handy, don't worry about taking yours apart to get them.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                    well... maybe I'll junk yard it and see if I can slide the old ones off a non-damaged passenger side. If you don't have the #s handy, don't worry about taking yours apart to get them.
                    If you have a broken one, go to the local body shop and ask... They will get it for you. The guy gave me like 5 free
                    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

I tried 3 different body shops... none of them had any. The last one even called around to several more to check. I have a friend that works with Fastenal that called all of his suppliers to check for that part and nobody had it or anything remotely similar. Since I don't have the mouldings any more, it's kind of a moot point. all the studs on the car are fine though so I could replace with other mouldings easy enough. Looks like a junk yard will be my friend for this car (unless I get a truck first).

Comment

Alright I just checked and I must have tossed them out. If you really cant find any at a junkyard, let me know how many you need and I can get some from Stan's.
                        1985 GMC 1500

Comment

I'll have to get the mouldings first though. figures I'd toss them and THEN find out about new clips.

Comment

Working...
                          X