ford emblem trunk lock won't close

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ford emblem trunk lock won't close

The lock opens and works just fine but the Ford badge doesn't snap shut like it used to. Worked before winter time.

Any idea?
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

I should have mentioned, I can close it by hand, but as I recall it used to close when I would shut the trunk.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Probably something broken or bent.
      If its like the mercury badge, theres a pin guided stainless steel trip plate behind the main mounting that drops into position next to the key slot. When you turn the key, it trips the release by pushing that metal plate and letting the badge snap down onto your finger, and when you pull the key out, the badge snaps into position.

The guide pin can break, the metal plate can get bent or fatigue cracked and break off, leaving you with various states of operation. Mind fatigue cracked at the narrow part of the plate and it took two hands and a finger to open the trunk (one hand to open the badge, the finger to push the flopping plate aside, the other hand to operate the key. Pair of needlenose get rid of the broken plate, so now it just takes a nimble hand to open the trunk as theres nothing to hold the badge open.

Your only fix is to replace the badge assembly.

Alex.
      Last edited by GM_Guy; 05-01-2010, 10:22 PM. Reason: spulling

Comment

Just that type of thing is all I need? Not an lsc of course but just the front hinged part and no actual lock mechanism? I assume it was all one piece and would need to go. Thanks
        sigpic

Comment

The flip up part is held on by two rivets, drill them out and the whole badge pops off... The badge is attached over the lock... on the surface. Then just rivet the new badge in place.. Just take the badge with you when you buy the rivets to get the right size... I went thru about 4 different sizes before I got the right one... if I would have just brought the stupid badge.. I would have gotten the right size the first time!

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
          Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

awesome, now i just need to find one
            sigpic

Comment

I just hose the pivot point with lube on mine every once in a while... keeps it happy (mind the fingers though... makes it greasy).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
              X