protecting bare metal under the hood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

protecting bare metal under the hood?

I took out my awoogah horn to clean it up and ended up hitting the metal body of it with a wire wheel, it looks great, but I know the metal will start to get funky as soon as I put it back in.

Should I just clearcoat the bare metal?
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Yeah, spray can clear may turn yellow over time though. Or you can just get what ever color the horn is and give that a quick squirt on there.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

Comment

I think I will paint it the same color as the bell of the horn. You're quite fond of the color I believe
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I've actually had spray can clearcoated metal rust underneath the paint. I can only assume it must be porous, which I wouldn't have expected. This was with PlastiKote clearcoat... I'd be interested to hear if anyone's had any good luck with bare metal being protected by any kind of spraypaint clearcoat, and what brand it was.

Comment

Working...
        X