opinions on paint job colors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

opinions on paint job colors?

Now, my car was garage kept before i owned it, and the paint is 90% all there. But the hood and top of the car are blushing, and I know the rest of it will start turning crackled white, too, down the road. There's a tiny spot of rust by the right rear wheel well too.

So I'll be repainting my car at some point down the road. Looking at classes at a community college anyway: so it would be an excellent time to repaint my car and learn while doing it!

SO, colors! My car is a 1990 colony park wagon, wood grain delete (I know many love it, but I'm glad not to have wood grain), and is a dark indigo/ navy blue inside and out.

I could of course just repaint blue. But I feel if I'm going through all the effort of repainting, it needs to be a color that looks custom!

Conversely, I like to think I'm a man of taste, and want to avoid anything terribly garish. Part of the problem with stand-out colors, is that stock colors became stock by being tasteful; no puke "gold" for me.

What do you think might look good with the navy blue interior? I'm thinking a green? I also enjoy purple, but it would have to be carefully selected. A very dark purple, or maybe, a blue paint with a translucent red layered over it to appear purpleish from angles. Keep it subtle. Can't look like a 'pimpmobile' lowrider, not for me.
    Maybe a metallic silver?

What are your ideas? What can be done with paints, too, in terms of layering translucent pigments; or are they always just straight solids?

This is the open, brainstorming stage. I won't be repainting for a few months, but want to start mulling over ideas!

Thanks for the input!
    -Bernard
    Attached Files

I'm thinking silver.. But Maybe silver with some flake in it.. or just some plain Ol Meatalic silver (GMGT Silver) like you metioned with some red and black pin stripes (Thin Like on stock Boxes) down the side of the car and some American Racing Rims and Racoon Eyes and a Blacked out grill and tinted windows

Comment

I like the metallic silver idea as well. definitely looks nice.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

GMGT silver...THIS

also, sticking with blue aint bad either but, a more exotic blue with some pearl or somethin. and i second the aftermarket rims too.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Could do a blue and orange two tone. The two colors compliment each other.

sigpic
          - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

I would suggest that OEM light blue metallic most people like. I've looked at the car my entire life, but I'm still more partial to that color on my '87 with a dark blue interior & soft top than anything else I see out there. When it's nice and clean it just shimmers because the metallics are so fine.

Comment

I like your current color.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

If its the same blue I think it is (same as mine) than keep it, only instead of just the paint, shoot some clear over it and have it buffed out until it looks like its about a mile and a half deep.

At least that's my plan lol. That color blue looks awesome in the sun, and I can only imagine what it would look like with a few layer of clear.
                Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Both blue and silver sound like good ideas. Green or purple may be a little tacky.
                  1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                  2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
                  sigpic

Comment

Kona Blue, or Sonic Blue....or even an old favorite, Acapulco Blue.

Comment

i like the original color......close to my towny and my mk7

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

paint it the color of freshmeats mustang

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                        Big plans

Comment

I tried to find photos; but I only found a wagon and an explorer: what color was the mustang?

Comment

Post pics of your car in here, works in progress, etc... Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles only.

I believe its kona blue

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                            Big plans

Comment

I say, pick a color they make Rustoleum in because then you can paint it really, really cheaply.

Is there anything at all wrong with your current finish? It looks perfect in the photo. What is this thing you call "blushing"?
                              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                              X