Seeking Temporary Sealant Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking Temporary Sealant Suggestions

So in the next couple of weeks I'm hauling the 1983 Grand Marquis to my house from the storage place it's been the last 5 years.

Body is white, but I don't think there's any clear left anywhere on it... after touching it I get some white residue left on my fingers.

Anyone know of any good cheap products I could spray on just to keep it sealed until I get it painted? A proper paint job is easily af ew years or more away, I just don't want it to start rusting through everywhere before then. But I don't really want to pay for a "temporary" paint job. I suppose I could go to Maaco or something just for a quick white spray all over.

I don't want to put on anything that's not going to sand off when I pay somebody to paint it. Just some Krylon clear? Or is there something a little better than can at least stand up to rain and bird poo?

Thanks!

Nic

P.S. I didn't include pictures because I don't think it matters what it looks like.

Possibly a quickie clear coat would help on the top. But serious corrosion comes from the inside, therefore even a cheap anti-corrosion oil treatment would help from the bottom as well. This way by sandwiching , you more or less, but not fully protect your body from further corrosion.

2003 Mercury Marauder 300A - Black on Black, Original Owner 70xxx miles. 1 of 470 Canadian Marauder built!
    Mods: Martyo Fender badges, JLT CAI, SS Inserts
    Click on the Marauder for more pictures and stats!

Comment

Was Ford using BC/CC in 1983?

Its probably just oxidation.

Use a decent cleaner wax on it.
      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

My '87 P72 oxidizes horribly in very short order. When the PO first acquired it, it was so bad he thought at first it was light blue. It took lots of compounding before he discovered it was actually black!
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

my paint oxides really quickly. I can basically tell when to switch to a different spot on my buffing cloth while waxing when the current spot turns blue.

nicely polished though, it's got a pretty nice shine to it.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

83 I'd suspect is standard single stage paint. Unless its actually peeling and flaking off, most likely its just serious oxidation.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ok, I'll break down and take a picture next chance I get.

Comment

try washing and waxing a spot. You'll know if its clear fairly quickly. The fact that it comes off white tells me most likely its not clearcoat.Also I'm pretty sure Ford never painted any of the white cars with clear. Clear will typically sheet off on the top surfaces, but be OK on the sides of the car. The line where it cracks off will be pretty obvious if you run your hand across it and you should be able to see it.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                  Was Ford using BC/CC in 1983?

Its probably just oxidation.
                  Use a decent cleaner wax on it.
                  this
                  Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  try washing and waxing a spot. You'll know if its clear fairly quickly. The fact that it comes off white tells me most likely its not clearcoat.Also I'm pretty sure Ford never painted any of the white cars with clear. Clear will typically sheet off on the top surfaces, but be OK on the sides of the car. The line where it cracks off will be pretty obvious if you run your hand across it and you should be able to see it.
                  this
                  Last edited by CheeseSteakJim; 08-31-2010, 03:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X