Repainted My Grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repainted My Grill

i just masked my grill off and repainted my vents on the grill black should look good. I have a question should i paint the chrome ring around the headlights black or keep them stock. i thought black would look cool while keeping the bezel chrome.
    Yes
    0%
    No
    0%

The poll is expired.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

only if you prep it right and use something that's gonna stick to the plastic

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Yeah I think it would be fine.

Comment

i use rust ole-um that stuff is good. it's black spray paint. I first will sand the old chrome off the rings the hit it with black if i do so.

-Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
        1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Use Dupli-Color's line of plastic paints. Regular spray paint wont stick as well, and the price isnt awful

George
          1986 Mercury Grand Marquis "5.0" (160,000)

2011 Ford Crown Victoria "4.6" (54,000)

2015 Jeep Wrangler JK Willys "3.6" (48,000)

Comment

Originally posted by Georges86 View Post
            Use Dupli-Color's line of plastic paints. Regular spray paint wont stick as well, and the price isnt awful

George
            yep thats what I used on both my grill and my headlight bezels
            Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
            New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

well it came out nice and also decided on doing the headlight trim ring which came out better than i thought. Check it out. The grill has some imperfections at the bottom and top of it due to the grill having slots and the painters tape covering some parts. Still came out nice.

pics

oh good news folks my car will be getting a new paint job and a new vinyl top this year at tech.

Should i paint the car with the top off or on.

Comment

thanks for posting pics i was contonplating painting my 87's grill i'm doing it this weekend now that ive seen yours
                sigpicTHE H.I.D MASTER
                87 mercury grand marquis
                88 crown vic lx
                89 mercury colony park ls (sold)
                89 mercury grand marquis (sold)
                00 ford crown vic lx hpp
                03 mercury marauder aka punisher (sold )

Comment

paint with the top off. That way the new top has a good rust proof surface to go on.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

the black retaining rings go with the car's name it's a girl name and reminds me of eyelashes.

Comment

At least #0000 steel wool will remove that overspray for you.

If you're getting detailed, consider getting out your 10mm socket and removing the Mercury badge to polish behind it.
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

paint with the top on, that way there isn't any chance of scratching the paint during the top install. Use rust encapsulator on the roof surface under the top. It doesn't look good, but it will keep things from rusting and you'll never see it. The entire roof of my car under the top is done with that, as well as the lower areas where the wide trim is going. No more rust for me thanks. You can have the top done after paint, but I'd rather deal with scratches in the old paint thats getting sanded than damage to the brand new paint.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                        X