91 LTC - peeling paint and more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

91 LTC - peeling paint and more

The '91 LTC that I've done some work on for a co-worker is coming back to me in the near future for some paint touch up. The paint is peeling really bad in some spots, and the previous owner did a horrible job with a rattle can. There's paint on the trim and tail lights. Not to mention, it's the wrong color.

Car's color is Oxford White (code YO). I picked up a spray can from the parts store in the proper color (Dupli-color Perfect Match). The owner wants to paint the whole car next year, but wants things looking better and sealed up to prevent rust for this coming winter.

I'll get pics later when I get the car, so it's easier to know what I'm talking about.

What is the best approach for repairing peeling paint? The factory primer seems to be solid and there's no bare metal. Do I sand out until I hit firm, non-peeling paint? Which grit should I start with? 400?

Then, there's the issue of over-spray on the tail lights. Is there any way that I can get the over-spray removed? Thinner and a rag?

Probably better off getting another set of tail lights from a junkyard.
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

you can use medium reducer and a rag to get the paint off, i would use 220 to start and work my way up to 400 you have to sand throught the clear at least. blocksand and make sure its straight fill in an high spots and primer,basecoat,clear,wetsand 2000 clear again
      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Pics of the LTC I am going to be working on. Pics are self explanatory. Left front fender paint looks a little off from the rest of the car. Looks like someone painted the fender, then blended into the front left door.

Comment

Yeah not sure about the lights. That looks like it'll be a pain to mess with and not get it off. Probably be better for you just to get a tailight.

Comment

I am taking a somewhat different stance, that taillight is perfectly savable. I would try some laquer thinner first, but if that fails, I bet that the polish sold for cleaning headlamps would also buff off the overspray and put a nice shine on the taillights. The polish has a very small amount of grit (kind of like whitening toothpaste) that helps remove the top "dead" layer of plastic on headlights / taillights without being overly aggressive.

Oh yeah, it looks like the car has the adhesion problems that started in the early 90's / late 80's when they started changing to more environmentally friendly paint. I kind of wonder if he won't have to have the car entirely sanded down to primer.
            2009 Ford Escape Manual (Hers)
            2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Lifted (His)
            1987 Mercury Grand Marquis (Was Grandpa's)
            1974 IH 100 4x4 (In Pieces)

Comment

if the thinner or reducer dosent work, try glass cleaner as a lube and a razor blade to scrap the paint off that how i had to do my cousin , the i buffed the lense out
              sigpicTHE H.I.D MASTER
              87 mercury grand marquis
              88 crown vic lx
              89 mercury colony park ls (sold)
              89 mercury grand marquis (sold)
              00 ford crown vic lx hpp
              03 mercury marauder aka punisher (sold )

Comment

I would use detailing clay on the overspray. The peeling paint should be feathered out or it will peel away again you should sand with 240, then 400 on the peeling paint, and finialy use 800 on everything you intend to paint.

Comment

Will try what you guys mentioned. Haven't gotten to the car, yet. Been to busy.

The left rear 1/4 looks pretty rough (paint quality-wise) above the body line. Below that still looks good. Will probably try to blend in just below the body line. It's hard to tell in the pics, but in person you can see that there have been at least two attempts to repair the paint. I'd say there are three different "whites" on the car.

Comment

Sanded on the left rear 1/4, tonight. Wow, what a mess. A lot of small spots of flaking paint showed themselves. Found that using 80 grit lightly on the previously rattled canned areas worked well for getting to clean, original paint. Feathered out the spots and went over the whole thing with 400. Need to pick up some 800 grit. Tomorrow, I should be able to lay a little primer and prep the other small spots elsewhere on the car.
                    Last edited by monterey1962; 10-20-2010, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Today is brought to you by the letter "F" for "Failure".

Low 60's for temps when I started. By the time I got the car taped up, it was probably in the low 50's. It looks like crap. Had my halogen lamps up against the 1/4 panel to keep it warm, but it didn't do much good. I have a headache, so I'll just toss up the pics. The camera hides a lot of the flaws.

Comment

still, it looks better than before

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Are you a body man/painter? If not...don;t worry about it. You did the best you can with what you know. How the hell do you expect to do any better if you never had experience doing these things before? I know white hides a lot but it does look better than before.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Not a body man, not even close. I'm dictated by the weather and lack of a proper facility to do body work in. I plan to paint my own cars (and hopefully customer's cars) someday, but that will be when I have the time and place to do it right.

Had I not been racing the weather, I could have taken the time to do a better job. Temps are dropping below 50 deg. F this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                            X