Surviving the Winter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
    if there is salt on the road...i do not drive my panther on it. since you have two vehicles maybe you can drive the volvo in the winter time/when salt's on the road and save the grand marq for better driving conditions? just a suggestion.

salt freaks me out haha
    I gotta be honest, I have a very clean 01 Dodge Cummins truck, another truck, the Volvo, and was thinking about picking up a small fun shitbox (VW GTI, etc) to daily drive. But I'd really really like to get down to 2 cars, and the GMQ is a must keep. I just don't have the time / energy to maintain 5+ vehicles. If there is no way to keep her from deteriorating I'll just park her in the shop, maybe in one of those "bags" or at least covered so as to keep the dust and dirt off her. That way i really don't have to worry about keeping her clean and maintained if I only take her out of the shop every once in awhile during the summer.

I guess there are worse problems to have... :smirk:
    2009 Ford Escape Manual (Hers)
    2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Lifted (His)
    1987 Mercury Grand Marquis (Was Grandpa's)
    1974 IH 100 4x4 (In Pieces)

Comment

Drive the Volvo during the winter. Nuff said!
      '79 Continental Town Car
      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
        Drive the Volvo during the winter. Nuff said!
        Forgot to mention a couple key details.

The wife and I carpool when possible. This week it is all 5 days, some weeks it is 1-2 days. The Volvo is her car.

We also live 45 minutes from work (53 mile round trip) and work 3 blocks apart. If we drive separate because one of us has to work late, early or late meetings or other appointments.

So it's not like I drive another vehicle every day.

Comment

Yeah, I was gonna say ... not driving your primary car in the snow isn't always an option.
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Sad but true. I've never owned a 'spare' car.

Pete
            Originally posted by gadget73
            For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
            1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
            1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

as another Canadian, I'll agree with most of the stuff said here. My car is only in the (still not perfect) condition it's in because it was rustproofed every year. Nearly every surface that was unpainted has a covering of thin, sticky oil. it works.

Just keep in mind that your primary goals are to keep bare metal covered and salt off anywhere likely to have uncoated metal.

The biggest thing is probably covering up every bit of rust you already have, whether it be with thick asphalt undercoating, painting, removing it altogether, whatever. If you have rust exposed during winter drivng, it will get worse fast. Eastwood.com has lots of stuff to help you.

Also make sure all body and frame plugs are in place, and all drain holes (on the bottom of the doors, rear fenders, etc.) are completely clear. It may also be a good idea, as strange as it may seem, to pour water down through those drains when you get a day above freezing (I don't know how common that is where you are) to flush out any salt that washes up inside.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

and keep the body clean as much as possible. when the opertunity for a wash comes up, take it. it will pay off in the long run

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by Forcus View Post
                  I gotta be honest, I have a very clean 01 Dodge Cummins truck, another truck, the Volvo, and was thinking about picking up a small fun shitbox (VW GTI, etc) to daily drive. But I'd really really like to get down to 2 cars, and the GMQ is a must keep. I just don't have the time / energy to maintain 5+ vehicles. If there is no way to keep her from deteriorating I'll just park her in the shop, maybe in one of those "bags" or at least covered so as to keep the dust and dirt off her. That way i really don't have to worry about keeping her clean and maintained if I only take her out of the shop every once in awhile during the summer.

I guess there are worse problems to have... :smirk:
                  I see no problem. GMQ is a keeper, thats established.
                  Keep the volvo for commuting, since I assume its relatively fuel efficient compared to the rest of the fleet.
                  AND keep one of the trucks as the occasional go to work vehicle and becuase its convienient when you need to haul junk.

That gets you down to two everyday vehicles, plus the GMQ for fun. =-)
                  Whats the other truck?

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
                    Whats the other truck?
                    A 1974 International 4x4 in itty bitty pieces.

Comment

Get it oiled underneath asap.
                      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I have had cars oil sprayed for many years because of the salt they put on the roads in winter. Have used old motor oil, but that is frowned upon now as it is a little acidic. Then switched to new transmission oil which was cheap. Have tried Rust Check and Krown, but my fav thing now is called a dripless oil spray. It is a very thick oil that will not drip all over your driveway after the job is done. It also is harder to get washed away from road spray or car washes. It stays there longer than any other spray. Mechnaics curse it when they work under the car BUT it works the best !
                        Cheers

Comment

but, the dripless oil spray is bad news if its sprayed over existing rust. reason being, the dripless does not inhibit rust. it will accelerate it. a combination is the best. my bros town car was hit with the black tar like dripless stuff when brand new. then was maintained with krown creaping oil. the doors and underside of the car is mint. rust is prolly the hardest thing to fix on a vehicle. i know very few older cars/trucks around here that were rust proofed when new and still look great.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Working...
                          X