Body Mounts time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Body Mounts time

well looks like my body mounts bushings are shot. I can't find anywhere to buy new ones. Anybody know how hard it is to do them and where i can buy new ones from.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

new ones dont exist. Energy Suspension makes one thats close, but you need adapter washers to take up the space between the hole in the frame and the size of the new bushing. I forget which ES bushing it is, but its been posted before. Scott has or can get the washers needed. Its relatively straightforward in theory, remove all 16 bolts that attach the body to the frame, jack the body up a few inches, and swap the bushings out. In reality, a couple bolts will probably break, and the two up front are a bitch to change, usually involving sawing the bolts in half to get it apart, and replacing the hardware. When I did mine, 2 bolts broke in the back, and one of the brake lines from frame to master cylinder cracked and had to be replaced.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

maybe i will then just leave them alone till something happens. The bushings are just separated from the washers.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
      -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
      1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

I was going to say, removing the body-to-frame bolts in the first place will probably be the hardest part on most vehicles. That is, assuming the mount points don't need repairing, which many probably do, in which case that might be the hardest part. I honestly haven't yet bothered to see how much trouble it's going to be on the cars I have right now.

BTW, anyone else notice that at least one variant of stock wagon tailpipes includes a jog that seems to be intended to allow a clear shot at the two body-mount bolt recesses that they go underneath?
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I've got an extra set of Scott-made adapter washers, if you need a set.

Comment

Originally posted by MattsGrandMarquis View Post
            maybe i will then just leave them alone till something happens. The bushings are just separated from the washers.
            The something that happened on my car was the steering column failing from the body shifting around.

It wasn't too hard-other that which bolts break. Some time spent prior to the job will make it infinitely easier. Hosing the bolts down with penetrating oil for a few weeks and seeing which bolts are stubborn will give you an idea of the PITA ahead.
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Not a job for a beginner.
              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Working...
              X