interchanging box snouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

interchanging box snouts

I know it was discussed a long time ago, but I can't find the info, at the moment.

Let's say I have a 1988 CV. I want to put a 1988 GM snout on the car. Iirc, the header panel assembly is a direct swap. What I can't remember is the part about the bumpers. I know there's a 2" difference in front-to-back length between the two cars, so what would be the best way to do it and make it look good? Keep the CV bumper and stone deflector, or swap the GM bumper and make it work with the CV stone deflector? Would the inner framing of the bumper need to be swapped to make up for the 2" difference.

If anyone has any pictures of a snout swap, please post them.
    Last edited by monterey1962; 11-13-2010, 06:26 PM.

You'll need a hood, too.
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I thought the GM/CV hoods were the same?
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Grand Marquis hoods are the same from 1979 to 1991....Crown vic hood are the same from 1979 to 1987..after 87 I believe they began using the Grand Marquis hood.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

ahhh that's what I was remembering. thanks.
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Judging by pics of my CV and GM side by side, the hoods appear to be the same.

Comment

the front bumper has a different grill dip (the GM is a little wider than the Vic IIRC)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
              X