Trunk....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trunk....

Today I started to get the trunk cleaned up, the trunk lip and bumper cover repainted, etc. so when I display my car at shows, I won't be embarassed to have the trunk open! (The paint was peeling off the bumper cover, and the trunk lip is a mess!) After the repaint, the new carpets will go in... I found a complete set of brand new looking carpet for the car, in another 91 at the junkyard... Another low milage car... Probably blew something, and they junked it. So when I get done, the trunk will have a trunk display of police equipment that the Sheriff's Office carried in the trunk. A friend of mine came up with the official trunk inventory sheet of the time, which he made a copy of, which I am going to laminate, and lay in the trunk.
    I started out today cleaning the trunk lip out, then using "Eastwood Products" seam sealer. It is drying right now... I am going to let it dry over night, then repaint the trunk lip, and the bumper cover tommorow. They say it drys enough to paint in 30 minutes, but I want to make sure it comes out good this time. (Pictures when I get a chance to post them) The stuff is light grey, so the paint should go right over it with no problems.

I also have a new trunk seal, which will go in after the paint is done. Then the new carpets. (I threw away the old ones... they were terrible!)

***EDIT***
    I have bought two of the 8 gallon rubbermaid action packer contatiners, to sit side by side in the trunk to hold the stuff the Sheriff's Office carried in their cars... here is a list of what I have for the display....

Riot ballistic vest with "subdued" Sheriff and "Subdued" American flag patches on it...
    Reflective "Sheriff" traffic vest
    Jumper Cables
    First aid kit
    Fire extingiusher
    "Rolling" wheel tape measure
    Crime scene tape
    Ticket book
    Rain coat
    Hat cover
    "Escambia County Sheriff's Office" trunk bag, for officers personal items, with Sheriff's
    "star" in gold monogrammed into the top of it.
    Flare container with 10 flares in it
    When I get the trunk put together all the way, I will get pictures of it....

Tom...
    Last edited by trwp72; 11-14-2010, 05:16 PM.

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Pictures from today....

Left side... This seals all the little cracks in the old seam sealer that could let water that will turn to rust

right side...

as the seal sealer dries, it smooths out...

The old carpet before going in the trash can!

Here you can see why the bumpercover needs repainting!

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…

Comment

Trunk clean?

Like this?
      Attached Files
      sigpic
      2009 GM, 45,000 miles
      ADDCO Sway Bars, METCO Control arms & Watts link, KYB CVPI shocks, 3.27 Track Lock, GT500 wheels, Eagle F1 Supercar tires, Walker dual exhaust, AFE Cold Air intake, ADTR ported upper manifold, Stillen Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Hypertech Programmer, 93 tune.

Comment

I noticed people at car shows more and more having displays in trunks..not only police cars but all types. When did this become a big thing? I always assumed you pop the hood and let everyone look at the exterior and engine..thats that...
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I've seen the photo album of the car's restoration progress planted in a trunk more than a few times. Its a good place to put such a thing, and it shows off that the car is clean and solid, not just that you cleaned it out by shoving everything in the trunk (like I have been known to do).
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Most car shows are doing that now... I know the local car shows give extra points if you have a small first aid kit and fire extinguisher... I think it is because people feel like if the rest of the car is perfect, why not the trunk? I have seen some really nice trunk displays, from information on the car, to custom carpeting etc... it makes a street rod look really nice. As far as a policecar, why not have the trunk set up like the original car did? I will post pictures when I get it done....

Comment

I WAS going to paint the trunk lip and bumper cover today.. woke up to pouring rain outside... figures! Guess when it stops... i'll get it done!

Comment

I would like to see pics of the seam sealer dried, before paint gets laid down, please. My '88 GM is rusting underneath the factory sealant (found a hole earlier this year). I'm thinking I may have to rip out all the factory sealer and lay in new stuff. I've been using 3M sealant, but I've been curious about the Eastwood stuff.

Was this the 1 qt. can that you brush on from Eastwood?

Comment

Yes, it was.... I think it wil still have some brush marks, but when painted, it won't be too noticable... Now if it was a darker color... maybe....

Comment

You could have used 2 part sandable seam sealer and sanded it smooth after drying.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                    Big plans

Comment

Oh sure, NOW you tell me!!! LOL!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X