removing stuck mirror screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removing stuck mirror screw

I'm trying to remove the front screw on my driver's side mirror. I can screw up (heh, get it?) the mirror and screw all I want because I have an NOS mirror waiting to go on. I have tried getting pliers on it from inside the door (couldn't get the screw to budge) and have basically stripped the head of the screw. any ideas? Also, how unobtanium is that screw or one similar enough to work?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

i couldn't find new screws, i ended up going to the junkyard and harvesting what screws would come free.

drill the head of the screw out so you can get the mirror off, use vise grips on the stud of the screw......you may have to harvest a mirror bracket if it's too rusted

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

What Scott said.

I had to drill mine out on my car when I was replacing them. I made new brackets with nuts on the back side of them because I could not find the correct threaded screws anyplace.

I also harvested unstuck screws and backing/mounting plates from cars at junkyards to have for the future.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

screw that fits and a nut on the back sounds easy.

Given that, out comes the drill....

Thanks mangs.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

Comment

Make sure to use some sort of mounting plate on the back side of the door skin though.
          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

there's that metal plate that the current screws seem to dig into. would having the screws go through that and then having that be between the bolt and the door skin not be sufficient?

Comment

Using the stock stuff would be ideal. So I say go for that.
              ~David~

Comment

Working...
              X