Want Advice on Headlight Restoration Products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want Advice on Headlight Restoration Products

I would like some advice on how to restore clouded headlight covers of the type on 1992 and up panthers. Are there any products that you have tried and which work well?

Thanks.

this thread has some good info^^^

In short though, all the storebought headlight restoration kits work pretty well, but you can use stepped sanding (probably 600 grit, then 1000, then 1500, then 2000) and then a polish and wax to get similar results. Essentially all you're doing is removing the yellowed and pitted outter layer, and then getting the new top layer glossy again.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
      http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...756#post610756

this thread has some good info^^^

In short though, all the storebought headlight restoration kits work pretty well, but you can use stepped sanding (probably 600 grit, then 1000, then 1500, then 2000) and then a polish and wax to get similar results. Essentially all you're doing is removing the yellowed and pitted outter layer, and then getting the new top layer glossy again.
      Thanks, I appreciate the info. I might try the stepped sandpaper method plus polish.

At the end of the thread you cited, somebody asked about a protector to apply after polishing, but there was no response. Do you or anyone have any recommendations for a protector to apply after polishing -- or is that was the wax is for?

Comment

The sandpaper method may be the way to go. I used a parts store "kit" (can't remember what brand) on my Stepdad's 03 Camry. They came out great, but about a year or so later are starting to dull up again. I would think the sandpaper and polish would last a lot longer.
        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
        Past Panthers
        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

The sandpaper and the kits do exactly the same thing. One is just cheaper, though the drill attachments and polishing compound that comes with the kit make it much quicker and easier. You still need to use plastix or equivalent regularly to keep them from yellowing again.

I did my BMW with the 3M kit, and I didn't think they looked bad before. They look brand new now. And the kit has enough left for me to do at least one other car.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

wax the headlights regularly afterward, it should help. When they start to show signs of getting dull, use the PlastX or whatever plastic polish you like. As long as you catch it before it starts getting crappy looking, its not a big deal to polish it back out. if its let go until it looks all yellow and hazy, then you have to start over again with the sandpaper and all that.

The plastic headlight stuff is one modern innovation I can't say I like. I much prefer cars that have glass lenses, even the kind with replaceable lamps. The glass doesn't dull.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
            X