antenna delete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

antenna delete

I am considering deleting the radio antenna on my car, or at the very least hiding it away some place.

I am going to need to remove the antenna to fix up the bubbling paint that's begun in one spot at the base of the antenna mounting point.

How would you go about deleting it? Cut out a round piece of metal the exact size and weld it in? Cut out a slightly larger square and weld that in?

I'm not so much curious about the sanding/blending, but the metalwork that would be preferred.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

I think if you cut out a peice the same size and butt welded it in, it would be your best bet. You could also cut out a bigger peice if you could hold it up underneath and then weld it in.

1980 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Signature Series
    351 4 bbl, AOD, 3.08 open
    duel exhaust with cherry bombs

Comment

You need to find the chrome or black plastic "blank" that fits into the hole. That would be factory correct. You might be able to find a NOS part on Ebay or maybe through Ford.

Comment

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...d-antenna-pics

i did this a while back and still looks good a year or 2 later. car looks wayyy better without the lightning rod on it. good luck.
        Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
        HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

I have pics somewhere of when I did this to my wagon. Mine didn't turn out anything like as nicely as merc91's, but it was still an improvement.
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

thanks merc91!
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Working...
            X