Front Bumpers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Bumpers?

I found a front bumper at the JY this morning that's in better shape than my mom's CV. It is the standard rubber strip bumper. I would like to re-chrome the bumper before or during the final phase of the CV rebuild (paint). What do you guys do with the rubber strip? Can a new one be bought? Do we just leave it off. Or do we need to take extra-special care when taking them off, so we can put them back on? Just curious.

Packman

You have to take the inner bumper appart from the outer. Then with a pair of plyers or somethig similar sqeeze the plastic nubs protruding inside the front of the bumper that hold the strip. Then push the nub through the bumper. Dont sqeeze to hard take a couple to get the hang of it. Care must be taken so you dont snap them off. The strips are hard to find. Trying to remove them without dammage is a crap shoot with out dissasemmbling the bumper.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I have luck removing them on hot summer days. A month or two back I removed a set with Ivan. I used a flat nylon pry bar to just lift the edge up a bit then slid a metal angled pry bar (more like a door panel tool) and slid that between the rubber and the first tool. Then I gently pried up. Once you have one push pin area removed then I moved to the next.

Or you can do like Dave said.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

If you're rechroming, i'd have the platers remove it. That way it's their job to replace it if it's fubar.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

^ I understand what you are saying but I would personally never do that. I have come to know way to many businesses that just don't give a fuck. Do what you can by yourself and avoid the headache of dealing with dumb excuses.
          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

We have to take those off at work a lot (I work at a Chrome Shop) They suck.

You have to be really careful not to clamp too hard those things get mushed and its fucked. Then we have to go buy a replacement, or have one made ($$$$$$$$$) Boss is not happy.

Most of the time though the level of vehicle were doing the customers want new ones anyways, so then thats thier gig, we get the bumper to concours quality then they find the show quality rubber.
            1986 Mercury Grand Marquis "5.0" (160,000)

2011 Ford Crown Victoria "4.6" (54,000)

2015 Jeep Wrangler JK Willys "3.6" (48,000)

Comment

Awesome (not)! I might end up doing what Turbo said and take the bumper apart. Then try my darndest to not destroy the strip. I would normally say to use the set that's on my mom's car, but the corner fasteners broke off. Thanks guys.

Packman

Comment

Can always silicone the entire stripe back in place if some of the studs decide to break.
                ~David~

Comment

Just throwing in an idea here. Anytime I've come across hard plastic that has the potential of breaking on contact, I break out the heat gun, and CAREFULLY warm up the plastic. Just enough to squeeze the tabs. If you are not careful, you will melt it in an instant.

MIKE

Comment

Working...
                  X