Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

box GM with Caprice headlight conversion...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

because you need to go through a big long process of getting proper ownership papers. It's almost like trying to buy a house when there's no deed or other paperwork.

You can do it (hotrodders and barnfind recipients often do), but it's a process that can take weeks or months and cost hundreds in some cases.
    Last edited by johnunit; 10-26-2011, 11:25 AM.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

You don't have vehicle titles there? Around here, title (proof of ownership) and registration (permission to drive the vehicle on the street) are completely separate things. I've actually never bought a vehicle that had a current registration. There's supposedly some trouble if you don't have a title or if you have a "salvage" title, but otherwise you just apply for a title and registration in your name and (IIRC) walk right back out with a license plate. Title fees are something like $15, and the registration is whatever it'd be if you'd owned the vehicle for years.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
        You don't have vehicle titles there? Around here, title (proof of ownership) and registration (permission to drive the vehicle on the street) are completely separate things. I've actually never bought a vehicle that had a current registration. There's supposedly some trouble if you don't have a title or if you have a "salvage" title, but otherwise you just apply for a title and registration in your name and (IIRC) walk right back out with a license plate. Title fees are something like $15, and the registration is whatever it'd be if you'd owned the vehicle for years.
        I don't know if it's different in different provinces, but here you use the ownership as registration.

When you get the car registered, you get a sticker with expiry date to put on the registration and one to put on the rear plate. If you don't have the ownership/registration card, you basically don't have anything but the VIN itself on the car itself to go by.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Working...
        X