Box Body Roof Modification Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Box Body Roof Modification Questions

Hello -- some box bodies were built with a sort of extended roof that was a plastic cowl type roof extension that was put over the rear window that extended the roof rearward and apparently was for the purpose of making more head room in the rear seat.

Does anyone have any knowledge of what is involved with converting this type of roof back to the standard roof? In other words, removing the plastic roof extension and reinstalling a standard rear window.

I'm guessing it would be fairly straight foward -- i.e., removing the vinyl top, removing the roof extension, clean things up and have a shop put in a new rear window gasket and window, find some std. rear window trim and install the trim.

However, if somebody has done this before, I would greatly appreciate any pointers/advice etc., or perhaps there is some reason that this type of modification would be ill-advised.

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

Any pics of this which you speak? Don't think I'm aware of any extended roof box sedans... I'd like to see one.

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis GS HPP - SOLD
    Wore out the cam chain tensioners and jumped time at 176k miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Ziggy View Post
      Any pics of this which you speak? Don't think I'm aware of any extended roof box sedans... I'd like to see one.
      I don't have any personal pics, but if you look through the reader's rides section, there are plenty. Here's a link to MercuryGM88's post that show's the roof I'm talking about.

Post pics of your car in here, works in progress, etc... Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles only.

They can be identified by the fatter C-pillar at the top, plus the smaller back window, and they usually have a thicker-looking more heavily padded vinyl roof.

Comment

Ahh yes that would be the formal coach roof option. Which I personally like more than the regular ones not really sure that it actually gives anymore headroom than the regular roof though.
        2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

No... There is no extended roof box.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
            Mercury88GM knows what I'm talking about. Yes, "coach roof" is the term I was trying to think of. Thanks Mercury88GM. Hope you don't mind me using your car as an example. It's a beautiful car.

I was wanting to make one into a standard slicktop -- so that's the reason for my inquiry.

--EDIT-- Actually, Chrysler had a very similar option that they offered on their 80's New Yorkers and possibly the Gran Fury and Diplomat (which were the same car).

It extends the rear upper part of the roof rearward and moves the back window to a more vertical orientation. It's accomplished by "grafting" some sort of plastic or fiberglass piece onto the back part of a standard roof.
            Last edited by TomO; 02-20-2012, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TomO View Post
              Mercury88GM knows what I'm talking about. Yes, "coach roof" is the term I was trying to think of. Thanks Mercury88GM. Hope you don't mind me using your car as an example. It's a beautiful car.

I was wanting to make one into a standard slicktop -- so that's the reason for my inquiry.

--EDIT-- Actually, Chrysler had a very similar option that they offered on their 80's New Yorkers and possibly the Gran Fury and Diplomat (which were the same car).

It extends the rear upper part of the roof rearward and moves the back window to a more vertical orientation. It's accomplished by "grafting" some sort of plastic or fiberglass piece onto the back part of a standard roof.
              Yeah I know what your talking about with the chryslers but as far as what ive been told our boxes are differnet. I have been told that the only difference between the boxes with the regular rear window and the coach roof is that part of the window is coverered on the coach roof cars and that it is still the same underneath though I have no proof of this. Being that your car was a formal coach roof car and you removed the vinyl what did you find underneath?
              2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

​

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                It may not be extended and I dont think it is but it is quite a bit different than the others.

​

Comment

The Crown Vics/Grand marqs with the coach roof simply had a fiberglass shell installed INSIDE where the standard rear windshield would be. Other than that the roof is the same. Town Cars are very different.

Comment

There were some pictures of the shell posted many many years back.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                      There were some pictures of the shell posted many many years back.
                      I remember seeing these pictures. Don't remember where...

Comment

I think Tom took the original pictures...in a junkyard down south somewhere.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

What's different about the Town Cars? Mine has the coach roof and I eventually want to convert to slicktop as well. I hate to copy but I want mine exactly like Zoomie's Town Car, slicktop and the body painted flat black (and have my windows re-tinted to 35% all around). Is the coach window itself smaller than the rear window in a non coach roof car? If so i'll just buy a whole new rear window and put it in, and work on prepping the body for paint in the meantime.
                          88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                          Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
                            Yeah I know what your talking about with the chryslers but as far as what ive been told our boxes are differnet. I have been told that the only difference between the boxes with the regular rear window and the coach roof is that part of the window is coverered on the coach roof cars and that it is still the same underneath though I have no proof of this. Being that your car was a formal coach roof car and you removed the vinyl what did you find underneath?
                            I don't actually have possession of the car yet, so I don't know. But from all of the photos of boxes with coach roofs, it sure looks like the angle of the rear window is steeper than a standard roof. Also, the C-pillar on the coach roof boxes looks wider at the top than the standard roof C-pillar. That's why I was assuming that the roof was extended rearward a few inches on the coach roof boxes.

In fact, when I look at the photos of your car taken from the side, where the C-pillar is visible, and I compare them to a non-coach roof car, the shape of the C-pillar looks drastically different to me. That is, the C-pillar on coach-roof cars looks like it's nearly constant width all the way up, whereas, on non coach roof cars, the C-pillar tapers markedly from bottom to the top.

I guess one way to know for sure is to measure the top of the C-pillar on a coach roof car and compare to a non coach roof car. But, since I don't have access to the coach roof car, I can't measure it.

However, I do have a non-coach roof car. When I measure from the top, rear corner of the rear door molding straight back to the corner of the roof, measures right at 10 inches.

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
                              What's different about the Town Cars? Mine has the coach roof and I eventually want to convert to slicktop as well. I hate to copy but I want mine exactly like Zoomie's Town Car, slicktop and the body painted flat black (and have my windows re-tinted to 35% all around). Is the coach window itself smaller than the rear window in a non coach roof car? If so i'll just buy a whole new rear window and put it in, and work on prepping the body for paint in the meantime.
                              If you look closely at his pictures. You can see the retarded and weird body lines that the towncar has that hide under the vinyl and fiberglass top. For a good quality slicktop conversion on a TownCar, you better have a lot of money at your disposal, a good autobody shop, and a lot of patience... The smaller rear windows are the coach roof cars. Then there's the rag top versions. Which appear to be large rearview mirrors with a fiberglass shell over top of that with the cloth top wrapping that.

Comment

Working...
                              X