vinyl top protector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vinyl top protector

Looking for something to apply to the vinyl roof to keep it protected from the sun so it doesn't start to crack. It'll be a million times easier to use a protector of some sort rather than let it crack and have to rip it off.

What stuff have you guys used? I heard baby oil actually works very well as it reflects the sunlight. Anyone else heard that or used it?
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

The consensus on most if not all auto forums is 303 Aerospace protectant. I think you have to order online, I've never seen it in stores.

I really wouldn't think about putting baby oil on the top. I doubt it has any UV resisting properties and would most likely run off all over the back window and sides of the car.
    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

The best protection for a vinyl top is a garage... That protector is the next best thing.

Comment

AMAZON has it (303).

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I once had an upholstery guy cringe at me when I asked about baby oil for vinyl and leather. It will cook your vinyl top under the sun, and attract dirt.

You want something with UV protectant and that is not just a dressing but actually a vinyl preservative. Aerospace 303 is awesome, but if you are lazy like me, the stores always have Lexol or Meguiar's products that are pretty decent for protecting vinyl. Stay away from Armoral, and under no circumstances let anybody talk you into Mop and Glo (ask me how I know).

Comment

How do you know?

Comment

I know, because I use the 303 protectant.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The garage isn't an option, I live in an apartment and they only have carports which half the time the sun shines in on anyways, but there are some stores around here that carry 303, my work sells it too so I can get it easily.

And I know not to use ArmorAll, it dries out vinyl and cracks it badly, better not to use anything than that junk. We use it on the trucks at work, since the big bosses upstairs say to use it, so we say "f it, not our trucks so who cares" lol.
                88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

I am also a big 303 believer and user. If not buffed heavily into the vinyl it will run some onto the paint but it ain't bad. There was a conversation on this forum some months back about this same topic. Someone chimed in and mentioned a product like 303 but it does not run. May be something worth looking into.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

If they have them there, try Autoglym products. It's what I use to replenish the colour of my already faded and cracked vinyl.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I use turtle wax leather/vinyl cleaner, and then follow with a UV protectant for vinyl I got from the local Oreillys, I cant remember what the protector is called though.
                      2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

I've used 303 for years. Great stuff. It's used a lot by folks that take boats out. The sun bakes the vinyl and it really does protect. Doesn't give you the greasy feel like Armor All. Look up some Marine or Boating supply places around where you live. They should have it.
                        95 DGM Impala SS, 383, LT4 cnc heads, LT4 matched intake, Holley 58 mm t/body, GM 846 cam, GMPP 1.5 rr's, F-body MAF, BH OBD I PCM, LT4 knock module, K&N cold air, Edelbrock headers, Flowmaster exhaust, BBHP #73 6-speed, 4:10 gear, sloted and drilled rotors, Z28 cluster
                        96 Buick Roadmaster Limited Wagon, mostly stock
                        77 Ford F150, 400M auto, longbed
                        98 Suburban LS 5.7L Vortec, stock
                        90 Grand Marquis, stock

Comment

I have also heard good things about Meguiar's #40. It's hard to find, but a lot of the Corvette forum folks swear by it. Have never tried it.
                          95 DGM Impala SS, 383, LT4 cnc heads, LT4 matched intake, Holley 58 mm t/body, GM 846 cam, GMPP 1.5 rr's, F-body MAF, BH OBD I PCM, LT4 knock module, K&N cold air, Edelbrock headers, Flowmaster exhaust, BBHP #73 6-speed, 4:10 gear, sloted and drilled rotors, Z28 cluster
                          96 Buick Roadmaster Limited Wagon, mostly stock
                          77 Ford F150, 400M auto, longbed
                          98 Suburban LS 5.7L Vortec, stock
                          90 Grand Marquis, stock

Comment

Google Por-Glo.

Comment

The guy that did my vinyl top actually told me to use Pledge. I use the 303 tho. I like it because its not greasy like Armor-All and some other products.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X