newbie q's about rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie q's about rust

The wagon has rust around the wheel well edges, and the passenger side front fender is pretty rusty underneath. Elsewhere it's clean.

I'd like to get like 5+ years from the car including Mass. winters and so it's time to treat the rust.

Is it necessary to remove body panels to paint them or can it be done "good enough" in place? I'm lazy and have no experience with body work.
    What tools would you use -- sandpaper, wire wheel, sandblasting?
    What paint would you use?
    Are there good resources, like books or online?

I don't really care what it looks like... primer's cool, the car looks sorta mean already...
    1985 Wagon Queen Family Truckster.
    Get It ==G|== Together

The only true way to stop rust is to cut it out, and weld in new material, and coat it well in some sort of paint to make sure it never rusts again.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
      The only true way to stop rust is to cut it out, and weld in new material, and coat it well in some sort of paint to make sure it never rusts again.
      Pretty much. If you plan on driving the car in the winter, the present rust will get much worse very quickly.
      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

it's better to burn out cause rust never sleeps

seriously you gotta cut out the bad metal and weld new in and rustproof the crap out of it......check out my boulevard cruiser thread in scott's automotive

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I have recently used a product called "Rust Guy" on some surface rust on my car. But I have to warn you it pretty expensive about $50 for a spray can. Clean were you want to spray, spray a good coat on it. This product will not harm paint, just wipe off were it got on the paint really well. It will turn the rust dark black in about a week to 10 days.

Just Google "Rust Guy" and good luck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0287.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1270146

Comment

you could always just have me do it since you're so close by

Comment

Nick should be good at rust repair after dealing with my car.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

As it happens, I got around to this just last weekend. Ground out the rust and did a quick amateur paint job around the wheel wells and lower door edges with almost the right color blue over two coats of rustoleum primer.

The paint job looks OK.

The crazy thing is how much of the rust came out and how shallow it all was. The car has lived in Mass. for 27 years, it's been someone's DD the whole time, it should not be that clean.
                1985 Wagon Queen Family Truckster.
                Get It ==G|== Together

Comment

Working...
                X