Vinyl Cracking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vinyl Cracking

I have read through a lot of threads on this but they all end the same " replace it is the only answer"

I have an 88 Merc GM with the vinyl getting progressively worse . Id like to find a way to kind of fill or patch in the cracks if you will. and repaint / dye it

I do not have the option to replace it, money is extremely tight but it just looks terrible.

Suggestions or experience would be greatly appreciated

Thanks guys.

any and all vinyl patch/repair will only be a temporary fix. It may last 3 months... it may last a year, but it will crack again. This much I know for sure. Been there, done that. It's actually less expensive to rip it off yourself... clean off the old glue... then let a shop install the new stuff (unless you only have a few cracks here and there and not the long spiderweb-ish cracks like on mine). The real pain in the ass is that you have to drop the headliner to get at the nuts for the roof trim IIRC. Also, you have to be uber careful taking the trim off as it's not replaceable. This is why some folks that remove the vinyl, just fill in the body gaps on the C pillars and paint it (make it a slick top). You could also fiberglass skin the vinyl and paint that, but it would probably cost about the same and not be as durable.

If you only have a few cracks here and there... you can get vinyl repair kits just about anywhere (if you can't find any... ordering on-line always works) and those are pretty cheap. Lay it on and let it dry... then give the spots a few more coats (thicken it up). after that's all set, you can get vinyl die/paint and make it the right color again. I don't have any clue about where to get the paint though as I've never been that industrious.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

^ What this guy said. If it's not too bad you can get little kits to fix the spots that need attention. If it's worse than that, you're better off getting the whole thing replaced otherwise you'll be constantly mending the roof every so often. Find a good upholstery shop and get an estimate. It may be cheaper if you take it off yourself and order your own material.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
      2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
      2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

when it starts cracking, the vinyl has deteriorated beyond salvation. It sucks but the only semi-permanant fix is a new top. I won't say permanant because it'll eventually go bad again. It lasts much longer if you can keep the car out of the sun though.

Shop around, but I'd probably let the shop doing the work order the stuff. They have suppliers they deal with and can get any issues resolved more effectively. The guy who did my top even told me that he doesn't like to install customer-supplied stuff just because its much more difficult to fix if there is a problem with the supplied material. He can't just call up the company, the owner has to do it, etc.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Replacing the top is the only way. When it cracks, it is gone. Just dont have the shop put the new top over the old top to cut corners. Don't ever use Armour All !

Comment

My ford shop manual says something about using a soldering iron to fix tears and holes. I can't remember it fully though. And this is for tears not cracks. Just rip it off and buy a can of bondo, citristrip, and some spray paint. When money isn't tight get the top professionally painted. That's how I did it
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

There are reasons why no modern car comes with vinyl. This is one of them. Sorry man. It's an expensive problem a lot of us have.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I'm assuming if you have one of those "frenched" rear window treatments with the fiberglass extension, there is no way to just paint, without replacing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rollwithit View Post
                  I'm assuming if you have one of those "frenched" rear window treatments with the fiberglass extension, there is no way to just paint, without replacing.
                  Coach roof? My MK VI has one and the vinyl is toast...
                  '79 Continental Town Car
                  '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                  '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

The Lincolns have a lot of screwed up body lines under that top, so honestly removing it tends to look stupid anyway. Those never left the factory without a top like the Fords did, so there was no reason to make the body lines look right under there. The fiberglass shell adds another level of goofy shit to deal with on any model, especially if you have one that the rear windows behind the back doors have been covered over by the top. By far the easiest thing to do with one that has the shell is replace the top and forget you ever saw that ugliness under there.

and the reason modern cars don't have vinyl tops is that they look horribly stupid. Ever seen an aero or whale Towncar or Grand Marq with one? The whole body shape does not work with a vinyl top at all. Longevity of the roof isn't really a concern. They will last a good 10 years, which is all the longer a manufacturer cares about. We're the oddballs driving 25 year old vehicles. The materials were never expected to last this long, and they did not.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      We're the oddballs driving 25 year old vehicles.
                      '79 Continental Town Car
                      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

x2

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
                        George Burns

Comment

True story lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Working...
                          X