Views:	1
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1302698Click image for larger version

Name:	20141025_153152.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1302698

19" mustang wheels with 245/45/19..Wheels are 19x8.5 50mm offset

What is the widest tire I can run on this wheel. I want something wider so the wheel will be better protected by the tire.

Tire rack lists a 295/45 fitting a 8.5" rim. You don't want that though, lol. It's just shy of a foot. 245 equates to something like 9.5" tires? That's plenty big enough.

I run 235/50s on my 18" rims and I find them being the perfect wideness. What're you planning on putting them on? A box, Aero or whale? I'd LOVE to see a set of these rims on a box, I was contemplating it myself.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
    The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
    It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

They're going on my 03 MGM. I haven't actually mounted them up because one of the tires is bad. Looking at the wheels the lip of the tire is almost even with the wheel and I wanted a little more tire bulge to protect these nice wheels. Anyone running anything larger?

Comment

you can probably go with 275/40/19 but you may have to run a psi or two higher or lower than normal to get the contact patch flat on the road and not ride too much on the shoulder or center tread due to the treat being wider than the wheel. This size will not affect the speedometer at all.
        255/45/19 will also fit well but are a dink taller and will slow the speedo about 1mph at 60.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

you can check out this site for wheel fitment... gives a diagram to the right: http://www.willtheyfit.com/
          This site gives you tire round in comparison to stock and speedometer differences (requires java): http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

255/40-19 will work great on all 4 corners. I had those on my 9.5" wide wheels and they almost look too small, should be just right on an 8.5" wheel.

Sent while running from the cops using Tapatalk
            1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by BlackVic_P71 View Post
              255/40-19 will work great on all 4 corners. I had those on my 9.5" wide wheels and they almost look too small, should be just right on an 8.5" wheel.

Sent while running from the cops using Tapatalk
              I was looking at 255/40 19s as they are the ones specified for the mustang with brembo brakes. Do you think there will be enough tire protecting the wheel compared to what I have now?

Comment

Yes, just don't drive up against curbs or lay the wheel on its face. I would only recommend not using the Hankook Ventus V12 tire, I had those and they are LOUD, the stock Goodyear Eagle F1's that came on the wheels were fantastic but can be expensive. I autocrossed with those wheels(255/40 front, 285/35 rear) and they were very nice. If you are concerned about not having enough sidewall height, you bought the wrong wheels.
                1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Thanks for your helpful comments.

I saw these wheels on a crown vic on another site and really liked the look. I want to run as large a tire as I can without major rubbing.

Comment

255 is probably your best bet. Remember wider tires on a too-narrow rim do NOT handle better. Extra stress on the sidewall and poor contact patch. When I bought my current wheels and rear tires, the rears (295/50/15) were on the 8 or 8.5" wheels that I have up front with 255's on them. I'd bet that the 255's handle and grip better than the 295's would have on those smaller wheels. Tread hanging out past the wheel lip won't do much for you.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

255s on the way. Thanks everyone

Comment

Working...
                      X