Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need advice about paint

Hi everyone!
    I have never painted with the spray paint. I have the rusty wheel rims, because the car is 1990 year. I would like to restore the car and the rims. So there are the questions I can not get the answer at. Do I need to remove the old paint coats? Do I need to use the angle grinder or the sand paper? What spray paint do I need to finish it?
    Thanks guys for the answers

Comment

depends on how bad the rust is, but I'd probably use an angle grinder with a mild pad. Not a sanding pad per se, there are some listed as for paint and rust removal.

Use a primer and then there should be a "wheel paint" available at most good auto parts stores. Barring that, use tremclad gloss or semi gloss paint. Semi gloss will hide defects better, gloss will be easier to keep clean.

Read all the instructions on the cans carefully. Some take more or less time between coats and stuff.

Be aware of temperature. Most paints, if you need more than long sleeves, it's too cold to paint.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

What's the desired result that you are going for? Do you just want to make them pretty? Do you want to protect them from rust? Do you want them to have Concours d'Elegance quality finish?

If it's just wheels for a daily driver I would take a wire brush to them until all lose rust is removed then coat them with POR-15 and top them off with Trem Clad or something similar.

If the rust is just surface rust, I would take a wire brush and then sand paper to make the wheels as smooth as possible. After that apply rust remover or rust converter to ensure all tiny rust particles are taken care of. Then clean the wheels with a degreaser. Apply 2k epoxy primer, followed by base coat and 2k clear.

Be sure to use 2k paint rather than 1k. All of the paint that you will find at auto parts stores will be 1k which is not very durable. For 2k you would have to order it from a body supply shop.

If you want a show quality restoration the process is more complex. You should have all the rust completely removed to ensure that it doesn't return. For that best method would be to demount the tire and get the wheels dipped in acid. After that get them epoxy primed. Epoxy primer is like glue that will stick to bare metal and seal out all the elements. After that get them painted.

Comment

ChrisFix has it covered mostly. I'd take the wheels weights off regardless. I'd also use an etch primer over bare spots and primer sealer everywhere else. Would not use that bumper paint he used either but that's me. In his video he demonstrates that he's not paint savvy by his technique and by calling what was on his wheels paint when it is actually primer. What's on most steelies is Ecoat, zinc or iron phosphate with Ecoat. Many different suppliers of that stuff but the bottom line is they're not UV durable so when exposed to sunlight the coating will chalk up and then peel off, hence the rusty areas shown in that video.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
            What's the desired result that you are going for? Do you just want to make them pretty? Do you want to protect them from rust? Do you want them to have Concours d'Elegance quality finish?

If it's just wheels for a daily driver I would take a wire brush to them until all lose rust is removed then coat them with POR-15 and top them off with Trem Clad or something similar.

If the rust is just surface rust, I would take a wire brush and then sand paper to make the wheels as smooth as possible. After that apply rust remover or rust converter to ensure all tiny rust particles are taken care of. Then clean the wheels with a degreaser. Apply 2k epoxy primer, followed by base coat and 2k clear.

Be sure to use 2k paint rather than 1k. All of the paint that you will find at auto parts stores will be 1k which is not very durable. For 2k you would have to order it from a body supply shop.

If you want a show quality restoration the process is more complex. You should have all the rust completely removed to ensure that it doesn't return. For that best method would be to demount the tire and get the wheels dipped in acid. After that get them epoxy primed. Epoxy primer is like glue that will stick to bare metal and seal out all the elements. After that get them painted.
            I want to protect them from rust and make look nice. I checked that i have the engine paint in garage. https://www.mrosupply.com/paint-pain...de1612_krylon/ Can it be sprayed on the rims? Or not to risk?

Comment

That's an enamel from what I can tell. Enamels aren't as UV durable as urethanes but you could get away with it if you really had to. Stuff is also listed as a primer. I'd topcoat it with something else afterwords.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by zerroroob View Post
                I want to protect them from rust and make look nice. I checked that i have the engine paint in garage. https://www.mrosupply.com/paint-pain...de1612_krylon/ Can it be sprayed on the rims? Or not to risk?
                Pretty sure Krylon is 1k paint. Personally I wouldn't use it on wheels.

Comment

As others have stated, it depends on how rusty the wheels are, and also how long you want it to last.

I did the rear brakes on a friend's '06 CVPI this weekend. The wheels had a little surface rust on them, making the car look pretty shabby. I scuffed the wheels with a red scotchbrite and leaned them with brake parts cleaner; a coat of Rustoleum primer, and a coat of Rustoleum gloss black and they looked 100 times better. Probably have to redo them as spray paint is very thin, but you can get away pretty cheap and easy if you are just trying to freshen the look.
                  **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                  **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                  **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                  **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Working...
                  X