No announcement yet.

Super Unknown - rust repair *DUW*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You need OSPHO. Paint it on once you get it down to like surface rust. Let it dry over night, the rust runs black and your pretty much good to go, sand it smooth and paint.
    1989 Grand Marquis LS
    flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

I wish my car had only that much rust. Both of my rear quarters behind the tires have big holes. The driver's side below the trim is actually just about non-existing. Its only rust, and its not that major of a rust problem given the age of the car and considering the winters where you live. Very fixable.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I finished up tonight. It's not pretty, but it's better than having rust on the car. The dark bronze was nowhere near a match to the dark brown of S.U. It got dark on me, again, so I didn't get any pics of the final product. I'll post 'em when I get 'em. I'll also post more info when I get time. I'm so tired right now.

Quarter panel holes filled.

Primer on.

Comment

Cool. Are you looking to patch the holes with metal later on or is this permanent? Just curious.
          Nick
          88 Colony Park LS
          G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
          Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

I'd like to patch the holes with metal, but I'm not sure. It would be best if I did completely remove the rusted areas and patched them with metal. I have a lot to learn and a lot of money to save up. I'll get pics up later tonight of the finished repairs. I will redo everything when I prep for a repaint down the road. The goal here was mainly to stop the rust from spreading.

Comment

Pics, as promised. Yes, it looks like crap, but it's not rust. This will all be repaired properly when the time comes. I'd be interested to know what you guys think.

Comment

Looks like you needed some more filler under the mirrors and on the door. Looks good tho, esp since it's somethin' you've never done before.
                '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Feels good to rid yourself of rust doesn't it?
                  Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Temporarily patching holes with body filler is a bad idea. Plastic body filler, or (BONDO) absorbs moister. So it kind of like filling a rusty hole with a wet sponge. it will actually make the area rust faster

Comment

Chachi, the holes in the lower rear quarters that I patched with filler will need to be cut and replaced anyway. The metal all along the lower edge is pretty much toasted from the back-side. All the stuff I did will be redone down the road. I had to start somewhere. I have no intentions of doing a full restore without completely removing the rusted areas. Give me time and practice. S.U. is going to look rougher and patchier before I'm done with her. I may try to score a cheap compressor and DA sander soon.

Too bad it looks like shit. Although, I'd rather see my shitty work than rust.

Comment

I had the same problem with my doors. I ended up sandblasting them down to remove the rust and seam sealer. When I got to good metal i painted it with three good coats of Por15 and then used some Fusor to reaseal. So far, no more rusting, but I want to prime and repaint the area.

1986 Grand Marquis LS coupe http://photos.yahoo.com/leo76830
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic
                        1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
                        Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

metal to metal is a metal body filler that you can stick a magnet to when your done. usually found a bumper to bumper. just my two cents.
                          http://dreadfullydespized.net
                          This is a sig-nature.

Comment

Working...
                          X