1989 Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paul229
    According to the owners manual for the '88 I have now, California-equipped cars had a Check Engine Light rather than a Check Oil light. That's what I was referring to. Your car has the Check Engine light.
    Unless it was only for 88's i dont think thats correct. About half the GM's i see in the junk yard here have the check engine light and my old GM had it and it was from texas. But if it's just 88's it could be right.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
    1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
    1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

Originally posted by Paul229
      According to the owners manual for the '88 I have now, California-equipped cars had a Check Engine Light rather than a Check Oil light. That's what I was referring to. Your car has the Check Engine light.
      I just checked my 89 Owners Manual - no mention of the California-only thing. So, maybe it is an 88-only thing?

HO with Explorer Cam, Electric Fan, Cop Sway Bars, Dual exhaust with no mufflers, 15x7" American Racing; 215/70R15's front, 255/60R15's rear, 3.55's with Trak-Lok.

Comment

if it helps at all, my car say check oil instead of check engine.
        sigpic
        1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Nice black Merk, the wheels really set it off.
          -Matt
          1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

My first Panther car was a 1989 Mercury GMLS it give me excelent service take care of it meanwhile post some interior pics too Mang.

ATT, SNIPER 308.
            MERC75-INTERCEPTOR, BORN IN 2003,DIED IN SEP/21/2010 AT 9:55AM AT THE SORT AHE OF 8 YEARS PROTECTING HIS OWNER TO DIE

Comment

black out the gold paint in the wheel openings and itll be perfect
              jay--1983 towncar, 302v8 cfi, dual straight pipes w/resonators ,edelbrock motor goodies, custom interior, full custom stereo system, full rebuilt trunk audio setup, custom paint...more to come......

Comment

Originally posted by sniper308
                My first Panther car was a 1989 Mercury GMLS it give me excelent service take care of it meanwhile post some interior pics too Mang.

ATT, SNIPER 308.
                Sniper was a BOX OWNER?

No wonder we think you are so cool!
                1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT
                  Sniper was a BOX OWNER?

No wonder we think you are so cool!
                  Yeah Mang I was a proud owner of a "BOX Panther" I will post some pics of that Panther so !Watch for it!

ATT, SNIPER 308.
                  MERC75-INTERCEPTOR, BORN IN 2003,DIED IN SEP/21/2010 AT 9:55AM AT THE SORT AHE OF 8 YEARS PROTECTING HIS OWNER TO DIE

Comment

Took the day off from work to finish my 3.55 install. Put in the extra clutches as well (four verus three per side).

Not hard, but sure took a long time. The hardest part was trying to get a good read on the pattern. I am not certain that the pattern was as good as I could get it, or for that matter, even adequate. This is the only part of the job that worried me.

I used the Heavy Duty pinion shims from FRPP (puts the shims behind the bearing cup). I liked that a lot, since I didn't have to press off/on the pinion bearing to change the pinion depth.

On the second try (0.024" pinion shims), the pattern seemed OK. Backlash was about 0.013" to 0.014". Went for a test ride, and I can't hear abnormal noises, so maybe I did it right.

I also used "super shims" where you use a shim stack, as opposed to the stock single shim. These worked very well, and I recommend them to anybody doing this job.

I didn't notice much of a seat-of-the-pants change in acceleration, but maybe I will later. I only test drove it about five miles or so in town. The biggest difference is that I can now power-brake and smoke my 255's. My Lo-Po could never do that before! I put in 3.55's mainly because I put 4.10's in my E150 (paid someone to do that job ($200)) and it had 3.55's (with about 40k miles on them), so I considered it a freebie! But I wanted to do my own baby myself.

Now I just have to wait on my 20 tooth speedometer gear from Steeda (didn't order it till today).

HO with Explorer Cam, Electric Fan, Cop Sway Bars, Dual exhaust with no mufflers, 15x7" American Racing; 215/70R15's front, 255/60R15's rear, 3.55's with Trak-Lok.

Comment

Nice!
                      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

That's a slick looking 89. I'm liking the wheels. How many miles are on it?

Did you pull the Grand Marquis lettering, or did it fall off? This is just me talking; but I think the residue from it is taking away from the clean lines of your car.

sigpic
                        - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarquis
                          That's a slick looking 89. I'm liking the wheels. How many miles are on it?

Did you pull the Grand Marquis lettering, or did it fall off? This is just me talking; but I think the residue from it is taking away from the clean lines of your car.
                          The Grand Marquis lettering broke in two, but is in the trunk. Been looking for a replacement, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Comment

Just some extra pics of the electric fan install.

Taurus fan. DC Control controller.

I made the "hangers" from 1/2 x 1/8" metal. I used "elevator bolts" to connect the fan to the hangers. The end of the hanger is bent over 180 degrees, and just "hangs" on the radiator top. An electric fan clamp (thing?) from Advance Auto is used to hold the hanger against the radiator. That way, the fan doesn't "swing in the breeze". I also used the same electric fan clamps (two) along the bottom of the fan. The main thing is that the weight of the fan is supported by these simple hangers, and the electric fan clamps just hold it against the radiator.

You can see that I used foam weather-stripping on the fan itself to help seal it against the radiator.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by 89GrandMarquis; 10-08-2006, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Finally, some interior pics. Just plain ol' gray leather.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by 89GrandMarquis; 10-08-2006, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarquis
                                How many miles are on it?
                                The car has 80k on it now.

Comment

Working...
                                X