No announcement yet.

FatNasty's 1984 Grand Marquis GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahhhhhhhh, finally. Just got back from a brief drive for the first time in months. Went to start it about 5 hours ago, but wasn't getting any spark. Turns out there was about 10 inches of wiring I axed due to misreading the evtm. Got that put back and she fired right up. Still got some cleaning to do, and need to put the little flaps that hang over the control arms from the fender wells back in. Also need to swap vac cans with the wagon so it fits properly with the relay box.

Headlights are way brighter on relays now, as they should be. Should have done that years ago.
    Brakes are much less squishy and more responsive now.
    It was great driving something with some horsepower again, that damn wagon is a pig comparatively. Wanted to take a longer test drive, but if course it started snowing 10 minutes before I got it running.
    Feels good to be done with that part. Hopefully the gauges go in quick so I can focus on school more. Pics soon.

edit: oh yeah, damn hood release cable snapped off at the handle.... really didn't feel like changing that out now.....

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
    1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
    1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

Can you slip a new handle on the cable or are you forced fishing an entire new/replacement cable in?
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Due to the way it broke I cant just replace the handle. Picked up a new cable/handle kit at work that should work fine. It will probably be better actually since my old one was a little short since I had run it a little differently. Going to go install it now, i'll let you know how it goes. Help part number 03323 if anyone ever needs one.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
        1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)

Comment

hmm... that gives me ideas about a possible retrofit of the knuckle slapper brake release handle in the Mark.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Mark, I had no idea Help kits were made for that!

Originally posted by slymer View Post
            hmm... that gives me ideas about a possible retrofit of the knuckle slapper brake release handle in the Mark.
            Can you post up pics of that setup in your rr thread or pm with them? I am looking to swap to that setup actually. Currently the brake release handle is right in the way of a fig light switch I want to install.
            ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

just retrofit an 85+ towncar part. Pretty sure the only difference is the handle and the bracket the handle sits in. That stock knuckle buster thing *sucks* if you actually use the parking brake and don't have an operable vac release system. Mark VII all have it, and I hate it.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I dont know how any of these things look....I need something so that the handle can be tucked up under the dash. I need to do a junk yard run.
                ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  just retrofit an 85+ towncar part. Pretty sure the only difference is the handle and the bracket the handle sits in. That stock knuckle buster thing *sucks* if you actually use the parking brake and don't have an operable vac release system. Mark VII all have it, and I hate it.
                  ah... epic *makes note*

/thread jack

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

you need the old style e-brake lever dave. im not sure that i have a pic. maybe you will have to swap the whole pedal and all. GMGT has the same thing. just a lever tucked up beside the pedal.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I went to upgrade e brake handles years ago and when comparing to the newer kind with a handle, I think i determined it was more of a pain than it was worth and bailed on the project. Haven't had an e-brake in a couple years so forgot about it. I should get that working and check out swapping handles again. I know what I am doing a lot more than I used to, and have tools should I need to fabricate something, so it might not be that hard after all. I know the handle is still floating around the garage somewhere.

Should have pics of the engine bay up sometime tonight btw.....

Comment

Finally some pics!

Still needs the little flaps that hang over the control arms and a few other little things. I'll never be 100 percent happy with it, but its coming along more and more with every round of upgrades. Might ditch egr crap for good, so that should make it look even cleaner. Also got a pic at the end of the engine bay when i got the car in 2005.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Really opens up the engine bay with all wires and unnecessary electronic BS removed.
                          ~David~

Comment

Looks really nice Mark (Marc?)

Alot of the underhood wiring in my car is going to be removed in the short term. I also want to totally delete the air conditioning. I was thinking about removing all the HVAC stuff entirely, but you really need defrost with anything you drive on the street. May have to see about modifying that evaporator core housing, etc.

I'm also going to put the battery in the trunk, which I'm thinking is going to really change the look under the hood.

Realy nice work done on your car, though. I always enjoy reading your updates and looking at the pictures because you always seem to have a plan, and the end result is always good.

Keep up the great work.
                            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Look nice without all that mess on the fender. What did you do with the smog solenoids, just toss them entirely ?
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                                Looks really nice Mark (Marc?)

Alot of the underhood wiring in my car is going to be removed in the short term. I also want to totally delete the air conditioning. I was thinking about removing all the HVAC stuff entirely, but you really need defrost with anything you drive on the street. May have to see about modifying that evaporator core housing, etc.

I'm also going to put the battery in the trunk, which I'm thinking is going to really change the look under the hood.

Realy nice work done on your car, though. I always enjoy reading your updates and looking at the pictures because you always seem to have a plan, and the end result is always good.

Keep up the great work.
                                Thanks guys.
                                Yeah, slimming down the evap core housing is definitely on the to do list. Cant just axe the box entirely since the air flows through there for both heat and a/c, but it could at least be trimmed down to maybe a 5 inch square elbow there. Just something to move the air towards the drivers side, then in towards the firewall where it enters the car. Next time i'm at the junk yard i might tear into a car and see what can be done, may grab a spare set of all the plastic hvac covers that are on the firewall there to tinker with.
                                I was actually considering a battery relocation too, but it just didn't end up being high enough on the priority list. Oh, and its Mark.

Look nice without all that mess on the fender. What did you do with the smog solenoids, just toss them entirely ?
                                Nothing left of the smog system at all. Solenoids are gone, i'm fine with it tossing the codes for that. All the wiring is trimmed out as well. Left enough wires by the ecm plug that i can wire in something that just tricks the ecm into showing that they are there should I ever want.

Got the panel for the gauges made, now I'm working on making the brushed aluminum plate to go on it. Trying out different methods of getting the brushed look on there, and seeing which looks best. Really wish I had a drill press to put the wire wheels on so I can get it looking nice and consistent, but I should be able to make something decent enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X