No announcement yet.

FatNasty's 1984 Grand Marquis GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The disc brakes were fairly simple. Get the backing plates, rotors, calipers from the donor car. Get some new brake hoses, you want 2 right rear ones since they dont have the second hole for the ABS stuff. You will need some special standard to metric fittings for the brake lines to attach to the hoses, i was able to get them at napa. I ran some new brake line too, i got the pre cut and flared pieces, they only had 20 and 30". I only needed about 25" and was to lazy to make my own so i had to "use up" the extra length and it kinda looks ghetto, but it works. Just bolted the end the brake hoses using the brackets on the hose to a hole on the axle. Also the passenger side of the center brake hoses on these cars is a different size and needs a special adaptor.

I dont have the e-brake lines hooked up, i just tore the old ones off for now, didn't work anyways. Didn't look into why, and dont really care. Never use it and i hate the way they are hooked up with a passion.

Axle was kind of a pain to jockey around and get lined up right to get the control arms on. 3 1/2 pound hammer is your best friend doing this. i think at one point i was using 5 jack stands and two jacks getting it together.

RESULTS: Very happy with the added performance of the 3.55 gears, zips around town much better and gets better mileage, even with me stepping on the gas at every stop. The new suspension is much stiffer, not that same old saggy rear end. Its got a little bit of rake now too which looks perfect. There is a little noise coming from the differential but its not too bad, just a light hum, more so when you let off the gas. Braking is a lot quicker and more solid feeling too. I managed to not get pissed off at all doing this too which was good for a project of this size, although the fifth or sixth time i got the floor crawler stuck on an old coil spring insulator i was a bit irritated

Next project CFI to SEFI swap

Attached Files
    Last edited by FatNasty; 08-29-2007, 02:55 AM.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
    1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
    1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

sweet!
      '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
      '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

What brand were the old bearings that came out of the rear end? The fact that you say it whines a little just makes me wonder if someone rebuilt it before at some point and didn't get the pinion depth quite right when they put it back together. Either that or it's got a lot of miles on it and is just slightly worn out.

Don't get me wrong--it doesn't mean it's gonna explode on you or anything. It'll just be a wee bit noisy. Have you changed your speedo gear yet?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
        1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
        But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

You've been busy. Looks great man!
          2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Awesome dude.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

suspension looks great!
              I should do that rear disc brake conversion...when I need brake work done, I'll prolly do it.
              great pics mang! awesome!
              :banana:
              sigpic
              1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Cool, glad it worked out for you. Thats next on my project list as well, rear is noisy and it gets real hot after driving. Tired of the gear lube burping out the vent because its getting cooked to death.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The car looks really nice. Nice work!

Comment

You always do some good quality work on your car, I can see the SEFI swap working out well for you.
                    -Matt
                    1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Originally posted by Nathan in MN View Post
                      What brand were the old bearings that came out of the rear end? The fact that you say it whines a little just makes me wonder if someone rebuilt it before at some point and didn't get the pinion depth quite right when they put it back together. Either that or it's got a lot of miles on it and is just slightly worn out.

Don't get me wrong--it doesn't mean it's gonna explode on you or anything. It'll just be a wee bit noisy. Have you changed your speedo gear yet?
                      The old bearings were timken and thats what i replaced them with. Not sure exactly why it whines, weather it had an incorrect pinion depth to begin with or lots of miles, everything looked in good shape when i took it apart though. Would be nice if it were a little quieter but i can live with it.

I did change the speedo gear to the correct one, but something seems slightly wrong. The tripminder records mileage driven 9% faster than the odometer. I never did a direct test between the odometer and the tripminder before, so i'm not sure if this is a new occurrence or not. though i did test the tripminder in other ways before and it came out extremely accurate. I think the problem may be with my hybrid instrument cluster, when i repositioned teh odometer, it seemed to drag a little bit. next time i take a highway trip i'l test them out to see which is accurate.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
                      1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)

Comment

I assume you're using the 20 tooth gear? That's what I put in when I installed my 3.55s, but for some reason that still doesn't come out quite right. The speedo is still off by about 8.33%. Guess I'll have to put a 21 tooth gear in there. I just don't get why the gear that's supposed to be right, isn't.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                        1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                        But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Nice, lookin real good. So I see you decided to go the EFI route. I personally was hoping to see that car with a 4bbl conversion, but it's yer car. Can't wait to see it when it runs as good as it looks.
                          88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                          Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Wow, haven't updated my readers ride thread in a long time. Well, the big thing since installing the axle stuff was my CFI to EFI . My dual exhaust is going on march 3rd. I threw together a warm air intake so i could get the stock air box out of there so the headers can go in. Just the stock elbow, 24" of 3" exhaust pipe, and a cone filter. Put the '90TC fan shroud/overflow bottle, and a mid 90's panther washer fluid tank in to make room. This setup is pretty temporary though, i'l be building an actual CAI soon. Need to clean up that drivers side a lot better. The voltage regulator will go when the 3G alt is in, and i might look into putting a 91 engine wiring harness in since it has the relays in a better spot by the vacuum res. Electric fan goes in soon, plus redo my console to fit a voltmeter. Once its nicer out, i'l spend some time cleaning up the wiring from the efi swap, and find a better spot for everything. heres a pic of the warm air intake
                            Attached Files

Comment

Fun! It's like the Original 1987cp Budget Air Tube Project! :p
                              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Great car! Great upgrades too. What car did the rear disc conversion come from?
                                People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. ~ George Orwell

1990 Crown Vic, 2006 Ford Fusion, 2003 Ranger

Comment

Working...
                                X