No announcement yet.

1982 Ford LTD-S 351W Police Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FINALLY FINISHED! Exhaust is up all the little nuances are taken care of... It fits GREAT, very impressed at the results. I used a RTV copper sealant on the mega clamps i used as added security, so i have to wait until it dries tomorrow before starting it up *Crosses fingers for no leaks* Here are pics!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02053.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	1268283Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02050.jpg
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	1268282Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02046.jpg
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	1268281

*PS i'll post more pictures once it is on the ground. Can't wait to drive it!
    Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 12-26-2011, 08:35 PM.
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

that looks killer. Is that a custom H-pipe or modified or what? The cats look like what I have but not the piping forward of it.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

looks so good i cant wait to do my lincolns exhuast that is basically the same setup.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
        -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
        1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

It's a walker mustang h-pipe. 2.25". the pipes are s-10 midpipes with welded adapters.
          -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

nice. Those bends on the midpipes are WAY better than the mustang 2.5" stuff. Scottmang had said that before, but that's a big difference.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Did you start that sucka up yet or what?!? You can't leave us hanging like that :smirk:

Packman

Comment

Well, started it today, sounds good. A lot deeper sounding especially at idle. All header pipes except cylinders 2 and 7 are turning purplish blue yellow....I would not have expected it to happen so fast, at least on a motorcycle if pipe discoloration happens that quickly it indicated a very lean condition. The fact that cyls 2 and 7 arn't running as hot is another disturbance. Any idea's here? Engine running test confirms code 22 "fuel always lean" also got a code 25 for the thermactor system
                -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Looks nice Phil. Hopefully you can sort out your issues.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thanks! I'm sure it has been doing this for quite some time...i just never knew about it. I need to drive it though to see if it has any other symptoms
                    -Phil

sigpic

Comment

always lean and air injection... sounds like blown check valves (those big ass steel ones on the air injection crap). Try plugging up the hose from the smog pump and see what happens.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'll try it out. Now that i think of it, i believe the thermactor code is bogus, because my friend observed it during the 2 minute 2000 RPM warmup cycle. i read over the instructions again and it says nothing about observing codes at that time. I'll also check the stepper motor that controls the mixture in the carb.....that would cause it to run lean overall. still strange that those 2 cylinders are burning cooler though...wouldn't make sense that the carb is at fault there though.
                        -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Brown Muscle, your exhaust looks REAL nice! It for sure is running leaner then before with your new free flowing exhaust. Think about it: now you got headers, no cats, and free flowing pipes.

I don't know anything about VV carbs but carbs in general need to be tuned to compensate for any changes that are made to the rest of the engine. I would step up 2 jet sizes and see if it runs better or worse. If slower then before just 1 jet size and your done. If it runs better then drive it a little while and check your plugs or go up 1 more jet. Now that you got the free flowing exhaust you can find more power in tuning your new combination.

Do you still have to smog your car?

Comment

Thanks! I do still have cats though. I am unsure of whether or not you can even buy jets for the VV carb. There is a motor in the carb that controls A/F based on the o2 sensor, that should be able to compensate to a certain degree, if it's working correctly. The smog is hooked up and seems to be functioning correctly.

I was able to acquire a dealer manual for the 82 VV that has some adjustment, however they simply show you how to put them back to factory spec....with no indication as how to make it run leaner/richer. I also have a diagnostic PDF booklet for the MCU and various sensors if something goes wrong or is working incorrectly. I'll try doing all the diagnoses tomorrow that i can (i suspect that motor that controls the mixture, as the engine still runs smoothly, and i did not run any tests prior to this, so for all i know it could have been exactly the same as before....we shall see
                            -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Oh and guys with mustang ball flange type exhausts how tight did you make those flanges? i have some leaks around them but i have plenty of room to crank down.
                              -Phil

sigpic

Comment

until the impact wrench wouldn't drive the nuts any further... but mine's an electric impact... and it was the panther ball style with two opposing nuts. I would think the same would go for the 3-way... snug them up kinda even then crank the hell outta them.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                                Originally posted by dmccaig
                                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                                X