No announcement yet.

1982 Ford LTD-S 351W Police Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Edelbrock 1406 I had on my 86 C10 ran fine, probably could have been better but the engine itself wasn't set up properly, it was the 290hp 350 crate that had a bigger cam but the stock 76cc heads and a low rise intake. I think it would have ran better with the stock cam, but for having 2.73 gears (supposedly) it had a surprising amount of low end. If I had kept the truck longer I would have gotten the stock cam back in and put in lower gears.

A friend of mine has a Fairmont with an 85 Mustang HO engine, has the stock Mustang shorties, 2.5" o/r H-pipe, Super 10's and turndowns and he runs the same 1406 carb and it runs great on his car. That car also has 2.73 gears but since it's the weight of a fox plus has a 5spd it really doesn't need lower gears, pulls pretty good like it is. I say for a fairly stock engine that an Edelbrock works fine, you can throw it on and not mess with it and it'll run just fine, like stock.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

All the performance of stock, without the fuel economy Thats why I don't really like them. Most like them because they don't have to be messed with. I dislike them because they cannot be messed with.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Does Ford have an equivalent to the Q-Jet? Those are good about economy when you want it and power when you need it, only drawback being crazy complicated pile of parts to rebuild it.
        88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
        Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Not really. Never many spread bore intakes made for sbf. Closest might be the funky autolite pot belly thing.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/trd-2066/overview/ -adapter

I've been reading good things about the q-jet as well. Can't be as complicated as the variable venturi eh?
            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

they make adapters but just look at it. The back bores on a Qjet are pretty big, and you'd immediately shove it through a funnel to about 2/3 that size. At that point it doesn't make a lot of sense to have a spread bore. Also, there is a possible concern about height. With a 351, its already on the tall side, and most intakes aren't super low profile. Keep stacking things up and you've either got no air filter or a hood scoop before you know it.

Comment

Qjet's only real downfall is the throttle plate and the fact that there is no bushing for the throttle shaft and it WILL eventually egg that out and get a nasty vacuum leak there.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Part of what I like about the Holley platform is that there aren't really 'racing' edelbrocks or q-jets, but with a holley you can go from a 'mild upgrade' 390-600cfm type of thing all the way up to like 950CFM before having to change any of the mounting points, brackets, etc.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                  160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                  waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Based on what I've been reading that adapter plate isn't the worst, but there is another that can be slightly modified to work. Click image for larger version

Name:	engine275.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	1276270

As far as the throttle shaft, they do make nylon bushings now you can buy.

I just really like the idea of the much smaller primaries. The secondaries could use to be a bit smaller for my application...but it's fine.

Height is certainly an issue, the adapter is another .75", which equates to about what i have on there now, in addition to the EGR plate i would get, my aircleaner is about 2" high, but i can get a low rise one that should work.

The autolite 4300D existed for a year or two and was fords version of the quadrajet, they are absurdly expensive as they came on 71 mustangs with some rare package.
                    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

I second a Holley or Demon carb. Choose your intake wisely depending on what you want.

I personally hate everything edlebrock. Intakes aren't too bad though.

Maybe your car will stop having asthma attacks and you can really use all those cubic inches

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                      The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                      It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

+1 using something that doesn't require adapter plates. Holly makes a spreadbore as well (similar to the qjet and without the issues).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

For all that I like the Qjet, I don't know that I'd put one on anything that didn't have one already. the other kick is that all the tuning advice you're going to get will come from Chevy guys. Feel free to put up with that if you want, but you know you're going to have to deal with everyone telling you to replace the 351 with a 350 as your first step in making it run right.

Comment

You can buy decent tuning books for them. BTW found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Offenhauser-...cfeda4&vxp=mtr

not going to buy it though... I'll figure something out.

Would going with a 500CFM square bore be too stingy?
                            -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Offenhauser.. nice..

Price... Me no gusta..

Just get a dual plane (Not single) that's aftermarket, check out Edlebrocks or Weiand; I'm going to use Weiand on mine.

I'd say a 500CFM would be a little too little I'd say 600 is a kind medium, look for Holley or Demon. (Dunno if I'm repeating myself, I'm going mentally handicapped in my old age.)
                              __________________________________________________

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                              The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                              It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

600cfm is theoretically costing you a couple hp, if that, at high RPM in a stock head car. No big deal. 500cfm will be costing you more like 5-6. Not huge but maybe noticeable. By the time you get to GT40 or bigger heads a 500 would be a pretty big bottleneck.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                                160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                                waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Working...
                                X