No announcement yet.

1982 Ford LTD-S 351W Police Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Around 600 is probably where I'd be looking at too. I've driven 351's with the 390 cfm Holley that Ford put on them in the mid 80s in trucks, and it sucks. Sounds like a big vacuum cleaner under the hood, and nothing happens with the speedo.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

650 seems to be the butter zone for a stock setup from all I've read over the years. Qjets theoretically can do 730 cfm IIRC. a square bore would be less economical on the front end, but more economical when you floor it. Spreadbores generally give you the best of both worlds (prefer vacuum secondaries as they are WAY THE HELL easier to live with).

and of course... it all depends on what all you're willing to spend on it all.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yeah don't go smaller than 600 since you'll eventually get better heads. The 600 I had on my 290hp 350 in my C10 was a bit small, but I tried to keep the rpm low so it wasn't too bad. The 600 will run well on the heads you have now.
        88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
        Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

oh the heads/intake/carb will all get replaced at once. OK, I won't go lower than 600cfm. My current 2bbl is supposed to flow about 350cfm, I was reading eldelbrocks that are tuned from the factory for fuel milage run a little lean, which makes sense. Theoretically the primaries and secondaries, if the same size, should flow about 300cfm, so that could net a little better milage...possibly.

I'm just rambling my thoughts off in hopes that something good will come out the other end. Like I said, I wouldn't mind keeping my fuel milage the same, assuming I baby it of course, But I don't want to decrease it as that would be counter productive. However the GT-40P heads and 4bbl should make it a bit more efficient, and if i get on it a lot i'm sure it will chew up more fuel.
          -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
            (Dunno if I'm repeating myself, I'm going mentally handicapped in my old age.)
            Yeah. You are totally the oldest 17 year old I have ever met. lol
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

So I haven't gone forward with any performance stuff yet.

Radiator got a hole in it, and I failed miserably at attempting to fix it by soldering (it's copper) and other joints were degrading so I bit the bullet and got a new one.

Something interesting to note, the radiator original to the car is a 2 ROW copper/brass radiator. They don't offer this option for sale anywhere, I always thought it was a 3 row. I got a new 3 row replacement, should be a decent improvement over the 2 row, MUCH thicker.
              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

unfortunately once those copper cores start to go, there is usually nothing to solder back together. The metal is usually thin somewhere else, so it will either just melt or blow out someplace else. Thats the "allure" of those radiators, you can fix them, but really you usually can't.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah the problem was the solder was degrading at the joints, the copper and brass parts were in OK condition...but it was time, not worth fixing. The new 3 core copper was the same price as the 2 core aluminum one i could get, so I got it.
                  -Phil

sigpic

Comment

It has been almost 2 years since I've updated this thread! To be honest there is not much to report. It's been sitting for while, with only occasional short drives. In a last ditch effort to fix my previous ignition problem (no restart, occasional stall and no restart) I replaced my previously replaced pickup. If this doesn't work, I will most likely replace everything with a completely different ignition system.

She's in need of new tires (it's been just about 9 years!) and they are loosing grip. That'll only get done if the ignition system is reliable.

Day 1 and so far no issues, everyone please pray to the car gods for me that the pickup fixed it.
                    -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Worst case, install a breaker point distributor. I've got a dwell tach I'll donate to the cause. You'll just have to ignore the AC Delco logo on it

Comment

Also, I missed seeing you guys at scottfest this year! I'll make a point to attend Scottfest '17

No points! Distributor-less is an option
                        -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Nah, distributors are where its at. The engines without one all leak smoke out of somewhere, be it a tailpipe or the ECM.

Not overly in love with points either, but I can guarantee you'll never have a faulty pickup with them.

Comment

Yah know, the Fury has points and I was dead set on getting rid of them but the reality is they work just fine. I've never had problems starting it in the rain. Must be when people just let them go and get all worn out like a hooker at a sleezy truck stop.
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I did one of those drop-in conversions on the Beetle. It definitely ran better once I did, but I kept the points in the glovebox just in case. They were still in there when I got rid of the car.

Comment

Day 3: LTD has had no problems, despite extensive efforts to test it. Jury is still out

Side note: It does a pretty good smoke show and doughnuts with the bad tires though.
                                -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X