No announcement yet.

1982 Ford LTD-S 351W Police Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to use the rod setup. I have a donor VV and a parts 2150. Maybe I'll see if I can transfer the lever to the 2150.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

If you have a grinder and welder, anything is possible, just have to get the angle right. I removed the whole throttle plate rod with the end still on it, but I had considered attaching the rod end onto it (before i had a welder too..)
      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I think the 82 Tbird 5.0 is supposed to be the magic application. Probably about as common as hen's teeth these days. I believe it was a 1 or 2 year item. 83 would have been CFI, not sure if they had an AOD prior to 82.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The literature I just skimmed showed the AOD available in 1980, only with a 2V 302. God those T-birds were ugly... Stranger still how most of the controls & digital display were like Lincoln knock-offs.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

yeah I knew the AOD existed before 82, just didn't know if the Tbird had it as an option at that point. I guess 80-82 Vic might have had the right carb too.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The LTD has not gotten much love recently. I drove it to Scottfest, got horrible mileage despite being all highway (15.6 mpg average), so i re-tuned it with the wideband, it was running rich. I leaned it out to cruise around 14.7:1, and decreased how much fuel the accelerator pump was squirting. I'm taking it on a 700mile round trip to NY, so I must get better mileage! haha.

The paint has been slowly degrading for years, it wasnt the best when i got the car but a waxing would make it look half decent. Wax really stopped helping it much the last couple years, and i stumbled upon an article on how to gently restore old single stage paint. (WARNING, its long): https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ge-paints.html

To summarize it, you Clay Bar the entire car after washing it, then apply Mcguires #7. #7 has been around for years and contains oils that will seep back into the old single stage paint. You let it sit on there for 12 hours, then buff it off. You then repeat 1-3 times more as needed to fully saturate the paint and remove a small amount of oxidation each time. This requires a lot of time and elbow grease, but is the critical step. After you do that, you can coat it with a high quality wax or sealant. (im using a sealant for longer protection. Mcguires #21).

If this works, in the future i will use a better, longer lasting sealant. Im holding off now due to price, but there are some amazing sealants out now that can protect a car for well over a year.

I plan on posting pictures and letting everyone know how well this works. Its cheaper and faster than a new paint job, so im will to give it a shot since ill have some time.
              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Is yours the metallic brown like my 82 was?

I used #7 on the roof of my 88 almost ten years ago. It's a single stage urethane from the early 90's (accident damage and decided to paint the whole car is the story from the original owner). I sanded with 1500, used polishing compound, #7, and wax after that. I wax it yearly and it looks good.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Yup! Metallic Brown, paint code 5V. That's good to hear about #7!

After a bit more research I found out about this: http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-glos...g.html#reviews

It's pricey, but many people claim water still beads off their car after 1-1.5 years! It's advertised almost as adding another clear coat to the car...might be worth checking out.
                    -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Brought the car on a 350 mile trip... Thain, I think it's time for you to get a carbd 351, I averaged 18mpg going 70-72 on the trip. I clay bar'd and put on the first coat of glaze. Pics to come soon!
                      -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Same mileage I get from mine, and I don't have to deal with a carb.

Unrelated but when you fetch the wagon would you mind grabbing my cup that I left up there?

Comment

Scotts bringing the wagon down to me actually, shoot him a message and he'll bring it down.
                          -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                            Thain, I think it's time for you to get a carbd 351, I averaged 18mpg going 70-72 on the trip.
                            But then it'd only make 170hp and wheeze at 80. He averages about 18-19 since the retune. <3
                            Last edited by sly; 08-25-2017, 03:15 PM.

Comment

I finally finished the process, it was a lot of work but the color and sheen came out great. It's certainly not like a new clear coat paint job, but what a difference!

Here's what it looked like before i began. pretty bad.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2251.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	1282146Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2259.jpg
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	1282147

After using the clay bar and 2 coats of Mcguires #7:

Name:	IMG_2266.jpg
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	1282148

And the final result:

Name:	IMG_2328.jpg
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	1282149Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2308.jpg
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	1282150Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2310.jpg
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	1282151
                              -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Did you use anything on top of the #7?

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Working...
                                X