No announcement yet.

1982 Ford LTD-S 351W Police Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The bumper support looks great. You can eat off of it.

Looking like a proper project with all them body panel colors! Getting closer for sure.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Glad you found some body panels for a rust free future. I love this thing.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Good job on the body panels and inner bumper support. What color and type of paint for the repaint ? Yes the fleet/police cars have almost nothing for sound suppression. I can feel the engine heat so much more too. Like driving in a tin car. Next time I need to do a headliner on the 90 CV, the top is getting insulation.

Comment

Did the cop cars get anything under the rubber floor? The carpet cars got padding or at least that tar board stuff for insulation.

my truck is a basic fleet model with the rubber floor. there is some padding there, but its a lot louder than higher trim models i've ridden in. One of the things you give up if you get the fleet trim.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I’m going with a dark brown metallic similar to what it came with. I might add a little bit more metallic and tweak it, I’ll have to see once I bring it to the shop

There is jute padding under the rubber. And a little bit of the tar board stuff. But far less than I’ve seen on higher trim models. Not to mention the sound deadening tar fails and breaks apart with age
            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
              I’m going with a dark brown metallic similar to what it came with. I might add a little bit more metallic and tweak it, I’ll have to see once I bring it to the shop

There is jute padding under the rubber. And a little bit of the tar board stuff. But far less than I’ve seen on higher trim models. Not to mention the sound deadening tar fails and breaks apart with age
              "Brown Clove Metallic (Maybe called "Dark Clove Metallic"?) That was an OEM color back in the 80's.
              Last edited by friskyfrankie; 03-07-2023, 09:21 AM.
              What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
              What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Dark brown metallic is sharp. You might considering adding a bit of pearl too. I had a 61 Ford Galaxie that I had painted a root beer brown metallic with a tan top. It was done at a "1 day" paint shop. Out the door price was $425. That was in the early 70s. I made a 61 Ford model recently with the same colors.

My 90 CV police package car has a tiny bit of padding in some spots attached under the mat. I know there is a firewall insulation package which is a delete on the base model. Roof has almost nothing. Who ever ordered mine had their finger on the delete button.

Comment

5V is the paint code "dark brown metallic". Unfortunately my painter can't find it in his database because its a single stage and too old, so we are going to try to match it with a more modern paint. he also suggested some pearl. There's a lexus color i'm currently leaning towards..

Even my car has the firewall insulation, that must have been really base model​
                  -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

I ran into the same issue with the 68, but the paint supplier was able to convert a formula for a single stage to base/clear. I think he called it switching the binder. Worked for me. The factory brown is just right IMO.
                    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Yeah, can't say I've heard of anyone adding pearl and metal flake to the paint. Always thought it's one or the other. But I think metal flake is just perfect for that car.
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Typically the metallic base coat is applied first, then the pearl layer, then the clear, so its a 3 stage paint job instead of a 2
                        -Phil

sigpic

Comment

I missed this thread. Had I paid attention to the last set of pics; I woulda PM'd you about the hood from my CV. The hood that came on my CV is aluminum. I got another steel hood from the junkyard to cut for the hood scoop. I am most likely not going to do anything with the aluminum hood.

Comment

They made an aluminum crown vic hood?? what years? that must be a decent weight savings
                            -Phil

sigpic

Comment

I don't know about the years; but from what I was told by another GMN member (a while back), the aluminum hoods were offered on the station wagons to save weight. They also had aluminum bumpers as well. Ironically, I got the steel hood from an '86 Country Squire that I was picking apart (also got the aluminum front bumper). When I pulled the CV hood off; we realized that it was much lighter than the junkyard hood. Then I made my inquiries. As it stands; I am not going to touch/cut the aluminum hood. I should probably create a thread in the FOR Sale section.

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                                I don't know about the years; but from what I was told by another GMN member (a while back), the aluminum hoods were offered on the station wagons to save weight. They also had aluminum bumpers as well. Ironically, I got the steel hood from an '86 Country Squire that I was picking apart (also got the aluminum front bumper). When I pulled the CV hood off; we realized that it was much lighter than the junkyard hood. Then I made my inquiries. As it stands; I am not going to touch/cut the aluminum hood. I should probably create a thread in the FOR Sale section.
                                Jacob. Yes! Put a for sale ad up asap. I will be driving down to Washington DC on the 19 of this month and I would come by and pick it up depending on condition and price. I am curious.

And Phil. If you want the aluminum hood I could pick it up for you and swap for the steel if you want the aluminum...again on the 19th. Id like the aluminum but may not use it for quite some time. Id just like to have a spare on hand so steel would be fine by me.
                                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X