Eric_S's 1990 Grand Marquis LS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eric_S's 1990 Grand Marquis LS

Hi, first time poster here. I recently bought my first car, a 1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS. I have been driving other cars in my parent's name for years, but this is the first car with the title and insurance in my name, so it's technically my first car even though I am 23 and have been driving various vehicles for the last six years.

So anyway, the first car I started driving back in high school was a really beat up 1983 Chevrolet Caprice Classic. I always liked big cars and people always told me how well they drove. I guess it goes back to the 1977 LTD I rode in growing up. So I really liked that Caprice because it was really similar (at least to me at the time) and the fact that five of my friends could ride with me.

So six years later, the 1996 Buick Lesabre I was driving locks up tight. Not sure exactly what the problem was, something about water seeping into the combustion chamber. I am not that great as a mechanic. I can do regular maintenance and take stuff on and off like brakes and starters and stuff, but this was beyond my knowledge.

So I was left to look for another ride. I had 1600 dollars in my pocket and was looking at rent and unemployment, having just graduated. I almost took the loan to buy a 1991 Cadillac DeVille for 2000$ But I wanted to look around a little more.

So I went by Country Auto Sales in Liberty, KY and talked to a friend of my Dad's, Jackie Rogers. He had two 1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS's. They were both absolutely filthy. He said he could take 900 for either. One had the cloth interior, the other had vinyl. The vinyl car was had more miles and was in worse shape bodywise, so I took the cloth interior.

I took it out for a test run, and it drove like a dream. Easily the best driving experience of my life. The Cadillac stood no chance.

So I told Jackie that I would give him 900 for it if he cleaned out the interior, or I would give 850 in it's current condition. He went down to 850.

I've had the car for a good month now, using it as my daily driver and to go back and forth from Lexington, KY, where I live, to my parents in Liberty, KY. It about an hour and a half drive. The car has performed wonderfully. The car gets much better gas mileage than I expected, I figure it costs me about 8.00$ to make the trip from my parents. The Buick used about 10.00$.

The only isssues I have had are the interior lights not wanted to go out. I solved that by taking them out altogether. And also the starter drive is having problems in cold weather some times. But it has never failed to start on me. Sometimes the heater takes a long time to get hot too.

This is my favorite car.

Eric_S
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
    103,000 miles in December 2007

The clear coating is coming in some places. Mostly on the trunk and cab, with a little on the hood. I want to take off the "Don Franklin" emblem, but I keep forgetting to.

The steering wheel cover is because the steering wheel was the filthiest. This car was full of old leaves and hay when I started cleaning it. The steering also looked like someone took a bite out of it. Also I can remove the console whenever I want. It's held in by velcro.

Last edited by Eric_S; 02-10-2008, 05:10 PM.

nice machine! i had the same car 2-3years ago i got for a 100bux but in terible condition...check out the thread "100 dollar racer" lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

That's a nice looking Merc! Welcome to GMN! Where you located, mang?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Nice Grand marquis mang I went to Lexington once nice city I64 west from the wv line

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
        302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
        k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

welcome to GMN, nice ride... since you dont have much money in your situation, get a brass transmission bushing to save the transmission on the car. if you dont get that fixed, you will fry the trans and have to pay more for the transmission to get fixed. the part costs around $5, but better than trans. rebuild. about your heat, check you coolant level and check your coolant lines. besides the radiator hoses, there is the heater core lines, a pair of lines that feed into the EGR backside of throttlebody, and hoses around water pump. problem with these cars is sometimes they are neglected and just driven till they die.
          Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

for your light situation, play with the interior light setting on the headlight knob to see maybe the switch is worn out if not, the check all the door switches see if they are staying open when the door is closed(they have an adjustment)

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I'm surprised your odometer didn't brake yet the 90-91 vic and grand marquis are know for the broken odometer because of the little plastic gears

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
              302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
              k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Nope, odometer is still going.

I'm going to be fixing the starter soon, so I will also put that brass bushing in the transmission on the same day. Probably replace the brakes or calipers since they are shaking on the same weekend as well.

I think it is the plunger in the door that is making the lights stay on. A few times when I have slammed the door it has temporarily resolved the problem. For now I just took them out, but when I get a weekend to go to my Dad's and work I'll look more closely. I left my dome light in without the cover so I can see when I get in at night, and if the lights happen to act up, I can just reach up and take it out. The lights only stay on maybe 1 out of 20 times I get in and out of the car.

I forgot to take a pic of the engine! I'll try and get that added soon.

Comment

brass bushing is under hood where accelerator cable connects. it is the cable connected to the throttle body with a plastic piece and probably busted up.

Comment

to GMN, that car looks like Magna when Colin bought it.
                    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Nice car. That's one of my favorite years for the GM.
                      1998 Crown Victoria P71: Former National Institiute of Health vehicle
                      1974 VW Beetle

Comment

Originally posted by gabegt90 View Post
                        I'm surprised your odometer didn't brake yet the 90-91 vic and grand marquis are know for the broken odometer because of the little plastic gears
                        thats what happened to my odometer. it stopeed working randomly and i have no idea how to fix it without ripping out the the dash and replacing what i must.

Comment

can a older instrument cluster be installed from a junkyard so the problem doesnt happen again? just an idea... the Grand Marq reminds me of Monterey's except it isnt a Crown Vic

Comment

Ha, that's my car!

I don't have any pics up yet of my '91 (110,000 mi.), but that's almost a dead wringer for it. Same colors in and out, plushie seats, but mine isn't darker at the bottom, and it has a coach roof (and there's a little bit of rust starting on the rear quarters and wheel arches at spots.

I'll do my best to get pics up of mine after the goddamned snow melts around here, and have my dad take the Merc to his job and give it a thorough cleaning. He washes cars for Enterprise during the day at the airport, he borrowed my car because his Riviera was in the shop for transmission lines, and brought it back SPANKING clean. But that was before the latest round of winter spit.
                            Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

ooh..pretty sweet mang!

finally! another tutone Bro!
                              sigpic
                              1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                              X