1987cp's new '81 LTD 2-door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updates!

Finally have a coat of silver on the outer bumper that's not turned green upon clearcoating:

Preparing to cut slots in the inner bumper:

Extremely sloppy fix for the rusted-off tab that keeps one of the bolt-hole brackets in place on the rear bumper:

My version of the DuceAnAHalf bumper core mod:

.... and the nasty rusted chunk I cut out of the middle:
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Also was looking at the back of the car with the rear bumper off. Wondering how it'd look with a rollpan. Will have to Photochop these pics at some point and get an idea.

Attached Files

Comment

Definitely going to be different, rolling the rear. Better 'chop the front, too, to keep it balanced.

Comment

Hmmmmmm......

Attached Files

Comment

Then youd have to make your taillights look like old farlane 500 lights
            Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

That would take some doing, but it's an interesting thought (especially if I were portdizzal!)

Is it one of these styles that you're thinking of?

'66

'64

'67
              Last edited by 1987cp; 06-23-2008, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Yeah, kinda, but they're bent in the middle to where theyd fit the body contours.
                Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

I say leave the rear bumper on. The photoshopped picture just looks odd.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                  1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                  But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

You're probably right. It does look quite decent with the chrome bumper polished up a bit (TurtleWax Chrome Polish on the power buffer) and reinstalled correctly.

Now I'm thinking I should tootle out to Detroit and get that nice '79 bumper they have at Parts Galore to use on this car, and put the painted bumper on the wagon. Hm.....

Comment

Comment

the merk bumper slots are shoter, might not look right

Comment

Are they really? I didn't know that, I was mostly thinking that the wagon with its more customized appearance might lend itself better to paint instead of chrome on the bumpers, didn't consider there would be differences in the bumper itself other than the location of the rubber pads if so equipped.

I do need to measure these Ford slots again anyway just because ... how wide are your Merc ones, how far apart in the middle, and that sort of thing?

Comment

well here are 2 pics to compair, i can measure them tomorow as i have a slotted bumper on both my merc and LTD

Comment

Hey, very handy pics. Brain fart, forgot you had an LTD. I'm convinced now, no need to worry about exact measurements!

Comment

This is going to be one bad LTD when you're done with it!!! Ids this going to be a cruiser or a bruiser?

Packman

Comment

Working...
                                X