X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice MANG!!!

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
      Next time you're out here, I have something that will get you out of the 70's and 80's and at least into the 90's, unless you want to go retro. If you like semi-retro, I have found a tape under my Mark VIII's armrest for you. It's Madonna...

Oh, by the way, this evening I noticed what appear to be a pair of small two-way Alpines peeking through the dashpad. I don't think there are any rear speakers currently installed, though .... I also noticed that in fact the original front dash plate, presumably for a shaft-style radio, was indeed at some point hacked to fit a modern DIN head unit.

What sort of '90s equipment did you have in mind?
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

One of the best-sounding head units (great D/A converter) around in the early 90's, The Denon DCT-950R, complete with the rarely found remote control for your back seat audio tweaking pleasure:

Comment

D/A converter? Does that mean digital-to-analog or something?

Comment

I like the new sig pic!!! Is your two door going to be the evil twin of Torquelover's P72? I don't know how much more wicked you get than that; though it is a two door, so I guess that should count for something.

Packman

Comment

Thanks, Packmang! I wasn't sure what to do at first, given the images I've got, and then realized I could just set those two side-by-side and blur between them by hand. :p

Dunno about the POS's evil twin ... I'm still thinking of my old 351 core more for the wagon than the sedan ... probably don't totally need 400-plus lb-ft making the lighter car all squirrelly all the time. The sedan seems to say more high-winding-five-oh to me, so I'm thinking maybe I'll eventually take one of my shortblocks and add BHP heads and toss the E8 cam back in it with probably my Offy divided single-plane and see what it'll do. On DD it looks like an easy 400hp (419@6500 according to the sim), and I only need 350 with that car to make 10 lbs/hp.
              Last edited by 1987cp; 02-21-2008, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Nice sig pic. It would be cool if you flipped one around, but then you'd have a RHD Panther. I imagine the new Vic to be the POS's big brother, and not a twin, due to the year. Well, Michael, will it be evil or good? And you're spot on about the D/A converter(s). I'll dig it out next time you swing out here. I like the idea of a high-winding 302. I can see it now: All I hear is a wicked NASCAR style shriek...and then you fly by with a big grin on your face in the Vic. There are some used GT40s on eBay in Ohio...
                Last edited by torquelover; 02-21-2008, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
                  Nice sig pic. It would be cool if you flipped one around, but then you'd have a RHD Panther. I imagine the new Vic to be the POS's big brother, and not a twin, due to the year. Well, Michael, will it be evil or good? And you're spot on about the D/A converter(s). I'll dig it out next time you swing out here. I like the idea of a high-winding 302. I can see it now: All I hear is a wicked NASCAR style shriek...and then you fly by with a big grin on your face in the Vic. There are some used GT40s on eBay in Ohio...
                  Fun ideas!

Screw getting more GT40s, if I ever fix that one buggered spark plug hole, I'll just send Gerry my extra set of cores.

Speaking of heads, I must remember to Heli-coil one of my valvecover bolt holes that some joker hogged out at some point in these E7 heads' past.

Which reminds me, maybe I should think about swapping the 2.5" X-pipe exhaust onto the sedan and putting the wagon tails on the wagon ...... maybe I'd better not get too far ahead of myself, though, because I'm 98% sure there are some wussy rear gears that've gotta go byebye first.
                  Last edited by 1987cp; 02-21-2008, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Hmmmmmm.........za veels are turning on this project. I like.

Packman

Comment

2/22/08, 10:07pm: Just got back with the car via towtruck. Seems the ignition system crapped out on me 2 miles from the house after being driven probably 30-plus miles with no trouble. 56 bucks later, I'm thinking maybe I should spring for a AAA membership. :nonono:

Next step: install intercessory ignition system.

Comment

that reminds me of my merc, first day i got the trip permit on it, it stalled going down one of the busy streets, and woldent start, so i ended up pushing it off to a side street poped the hood, and found that the power wire for the coil had burnd off, so i just stripped the end of the wire and jammed it into place and made it home alwrite, mind u i have forgotten all about this and still driving around with the wire jamed into place, and this has been since late summer when i got the car on the road, so mayby i should actualy fix that...lol
                        Anyhow cant wait to see this thing start transforming into a street machine, should be very cool..

Comment

Yeah, be interesting to see if it's just some smoked wiring. Hard to tell in the dark, and I hadn't thought to bring a flashlight with me. I'd been smelling some things, but you tend to smell things on a 27-year-old engine that's been sitting with lots of gunk on it (and a couple of small cobwebs as well). I do have the wiring I made for my prototype Duraspark/HEI hybrid system, so I'll probably just hook that up temporarily and borrow my newer HEI module, just to make sure the thing will actually start.

Comment

Well, I spent some time disconnecting vacuum hoses and the old electronic engine control wiring. Turns out there appeared to have been a couple of vacuum hoses just going off into space and sucking wind. Anyway, I have three or four nipples to cap off now, but I twisted the key and the car started, so apparently the old ignition module isn't actually fried.

Comment

Well that will all be gone when you take that engine out of the vic right?

Comment

You betcha! I'll probably get it an HEI module like on the other car; it's cheap and reasonably reliable. Unless maybe I can score a MSD or Crane box for really, really cheap ............

Comment

Working...
                                X